384th jeeps of grafton underwood

newtothis

It depends on the type of information you are seeking. I have a collection of original photos taken by an officer of the 384th which show some vehicles in detail,only one Jeep though.

Vehicles used by the Eighth Air Force are a particular interest of mine and I will help if I can.

Regards,

Matt.

hi,thanks for replying,i have some pictures i got off the web,i want to replicate the stenciling as near as possible all round on a similar jeep of the peroid.i would like to know how many jeeps were on the base?i have three so far that i can account for,plus one i cannot see its hood number,so thats four.i think they are three fords and a willys,possibly mid 1942 to mid 1943 era.i going to get a jeep if pos of that period.regards.

• 2 weeks later...
hi,thanks for replying,i have some pictures i got off the web,i want to replicate the stenciling as near as possible all round on a similar jeep of the peroid.i would like to know how many jeeps were on the base?i have three so far that i can account for,plus one i cannot see its hood number,so thats four.i think they are three fords and a willys,possibly mid 1942 to mid 1943 era.i going to get a jeep if pos of that period.regards.

Hi,

I'm also from Kettering and have spent many year looking around Grafton underwood, plus have been involved with the local MV scene over the years, and as I far as I know one of the original Grafton jeeps is/was still in the Kettering area, this was a 1942 Scripted Body Ford GPW that had two civilian owners from de-mob, one a local garage mechanic, and the second person its current owner. I seen this vehicle many times overs the years at local events, all but this vehicle is now in British army livery, due to the jeeps current owner being an ex-British serviceman.

Nige H

hello,thanks for your post,i know of a jeep that has your description,but not sure of its credentials,its been around since i was a kid,this one has some markings on it to relate to the 384th.ive looked at it,but i would nt know if its correct.do you remember a jeep that stood in the allotments in grafton underwood,i remember seeing it there in the 1970s?

Ok,not as many Jeep pics as I thought I'm afraid,just this one.

384thBGJeep.jpg

And another showing a Dodge Command Car which was taken by the same photographer,Capt.F.S.Taylor who was the 384th Base Security Officer,however the Dodge carries the markings of the 427th BS,303rd BG. You might have seen these photos elsewhere as some were published during the war.

303rdBGCommandCar.jpg