CCKW Hard Cab Dash Panel Lettering?

shopnut

Thanks for info on the dash lettering, have now found more on the drivers side above the instruments, there are 2 lines, the top on is faint, difficult to read but best guess is DIT ?OEPTOIN, the second line is KOST H 27000, which I think is all correct.

th_DutchlettersnumbersondashpanelNov10.jpg

Thanks in advance

It reads 124 BOSDEPOT

BOSDEPOT, or BOS-Depot, or B.O.S. Depot, stands for "benzine, olie en smeermiddelen depot" - in English: "petrol, oil, lubricants depot".

I do not know where Number 124 BOS Depot was located, will post here if I find out.

HTH,

Hanno

Edited by mcspool

Thanks for info on the dash lettering, have now found more on the drivers side above the instruments, there are 2 lines, the top on is faint, difficult to read but best guess is DIT ?OEPTOIN, the second line is KOST H 27000, which I think is all correct.

It states

DIT VOERTUIG

KOST FL 27000

which translates into

THIS VEHICLE

COSTS FL [DUTCH GUILDERS] 27000

In the 1950s the Dutch Army tried to increase awareness of the cost of its equipment among its conscripts by stencilling the acquisition cost on the equipment.

Not sure what 27,000 guilders of the 1950s with inflation are worth today, but since 2002 27,000 guilders convert into 12,252.06 Euros.

Are you going to restore it as a Dutch GMC? Even though we took good care of our MDAP equipment, GMCs in Dutch configuration are becoming quite rare as most are restored in American livery.

Regards,

Hanno

Edited by mcspool

It states

DIT VOERTUIG

KOST FL 27000

which translates into

THIS VEHICLE

COSTS FL [DUTCH GUILDERS] 27000

In the 1950s the Dutch Army tried to increase awareness of the cost of its equipment among its conscripts by stencilling the acquisition cost on the equipment.

Not sure what 27,000 guilders of the 1950s with inflation are worth today, but since 2002 27,000 guilders convert into 12,252.06 Euros.

Are you going to restore it as a Dutch GMC? Even though we took good care of our MDAP equipment, GMCs in Dutch configuration are becoming quite rare as most are restored in American livery.

Regards,

Hanno

Thank you Hanno, over 12000 euros for a GMC in the 50's, wonder what the concripts thought?, I only have parts of this cab, I bought just a closed cab, and and stripped another cab, the Dutch one, of the internal parts needed to restore the other, which was ex French, Dutch cab was badly corroded and would have needed a lot more work, where as the French cab was a lot better condition but had been modified for the Fire Service, hence I needed internal parts, will upload a picture later.

There is a nice airportable CCKW for sale on Milweb, which is ex Dutch, and still in Dutch configuration, but at £8000!

Regards

Rob

Hi Rob, how rough is the cab you are using as a doner ? Can it be saved ? Regards David.

David, the donor cab is not mine, it is restorable but needs a higher level of skill to repair then what I have, it will probaly be restored by the owner, one of the bad areas is the screen aperture, so much has corroded away.

As previous, the red cab, ex French was far better, much less corrosion but been modifed by the French hence I needed parts from the green cab, ex Dutch, now starting to repair the donor parts, dash panel seemed a good place to start!.

th_Bothcabsingrainstorewaitingfordismantling10309.jpg

th_HeavycorrisionondashpanelNov102.jpg

Thank you Hanno, over 12000 euros for a GMC in the 50's, wonder what the concripts thought?, I only have parts of this cab, I bought just a closed cab, and and stripped another cab, the Dutch one, of the internal parts needed to restore the other, which was ex French, Dutch cab was badly corroded and would have needed a lot more work, where as the French cab was a lot better condition but had been modified for the Fire Service, hence I needed internal parts, will upload a picture later.

There is a nice airportable CCKW for sale on Milweb, which is ex Dutch, and still in Dutch configuration, but at £8000!

Thanks Rob, and good luck with the restoration! If you come across any other peculiarities, please post here and I'll try to help.

And if you ever come across cab parts with Dutch stencilling, please let me know as I'd like to have one with the "price tag".

Regards,

Hanno

Thanks Rob, and good luck with the restoration! If you come across any other peculiarities, please post here and I'll try to help.

And if you ever come across cab parts with Dutch stencilling, please let me know as I'd like to have one with the "price tag".

Regards,

Hanno

Hanno, no problem, if I find anything I will let you know.

Regards

Rob