Humber Pig MK11

toby burnham

Just joined the forum after spending three and a half years rebuilding a Ex - Northern ireland VPK Land rover.I was then getting bored with nothing to do so another project was needed.I wanted to keep with the NI theme.So I brought a mk11 humber pig.Reg No:31BK58 from a advert on milweb.Does any body know of its past history.Engine runs ok but the fuel pump is leeking petrol into the sump thining the oil down so may be a diaphragm problem !!.There are also Some parts missing.

1x fuel filler cap

seatbelts (did they fit them as time went on)

Battery boxes and lids

Gear box tunnel cover

1x locking rods of the back door and possibly other parts as i go along.

Cannot find a indicator switch is it on the right hand side .I think it may be the lever that is missing.Also the layout of the lay out of the switch panel what does what!!!

Can any one tell me the start up procedure.Any interior pictures and advice will be more than welcome.Is there any other pig owners in the Northamptonshire area that i can come and take

pictures from.As soon as i can i will load some pictures of the Pig and the VPK

Is it true that Clive is the King of the humber pigs afont of all knowlege

Is it true that Clive is the King of the humber pigs afont of all knowlege

No, he's broken his Pig again! #4 cylinder valve seat has come out, not my fault honestly!

Anyway Toby welcome to pigging. You're going to hate this but I sold 6, yes 6 battery boxes on Sunday & I don't know of any more. Might have a fuel cap. Have some mesh protectors for undersides of fuel tanks & a few pipes that are around the engine. Also have a complete engine & gearbox if you want!

See my ad I have some NOS driver's seats.

Start up procedure. Prime the fuel pump by hand helps if you have long arms if it hasn't run for a few days. If has not run for a couple of weeks prime the gearbox of the Generator No.2 with the engine oil reduces long term wear as it only gets lubricated from the engine.

Leave the choke in. Foot down twice on the accelerator then keep it off & start up. Don't be too eager to put your foot on the pedal until it has run for 30 secs or so.

Indicator switch is under the horn/headlight switch.

There was a modification to lock the door internally introduced in 1975 but prior to that Mk2 couldn't be locked satisfactorily.

Seat belts were not fitted until 1974 so you could depict a year or so earlier.

Give me a bit of time & I'll give you the history of your Pig.

Hi clive,

hi should have put the last message up on saturday.any ideas for other parts i am missing.is anyone breaking a pig at the moment.I will have the fuel filler cap from you if thats ok.I think i still have a few parts missing from the dash area.I really need to look at another pig so any help would be great

Toby

Toby, perhaps it would be best for you to post views of your cab & engine bay (from both sides) then we can all spot what's missing.

31 BK 58

Chassis No. 33158

Engine No. 8837

Built as FV1602A

Contract No. 6/V/27455

Delivered to 31st ‘B’ Vehicle Depot Church Broughton

Receipt Voucher No. CBR/R/230

DIS 9/5/56

Rebuilt as FV1612A 1959-60

Struck off Census BAOR 19/9/69

Recovered to 32 Central Workshops 18/10/72

Conversion to Mk 2 as FV1611A under Operation Bracelet

Struck off Census 6/2/92

Toby welcome to the world of the PIG. Clive told me we had a new friend last night and I couldn't get to PC to check.

Pics are always warmly received in all threads. WE LOVE PICTURES! :nut:

Clive is certainly the MAN on Humbers and don't let his unashaming comment on no4 cylinder sway you...........He is a legend.

I even have a friend in Prague with a Rover 8FFR Land Rover who thinks he is a 'Legend', which is why he is in our eyes.

Joining this forum is the best thing you could have done........Lots of friends and advice.....If it's out there we generally know where...even if it's across the pond, snow, whatever.

Gets some picture up mate and watch the 'inbox' as they say.

If you are looking for pig parts try wiltshire landrovers at snarlton lane melksham he had a few pigs there that he was breaking the chap you want to speak to is neil. I bought two axles off him for my pig about four years ago he had three or for there if i remember rightly. 01225 700975 is the number i have for him.

If you are looking for pig parts try wiltshire landrovers at snarlton lane melksham he had a few pigs there that he was breaking the chap you want to speak to is neil. I bought two axles off him for my pig about four years ago he had three or for there if i remember rightly. 01225 700975 is the number i have for him.

Melksham! That's not too far from Clive.....Clive does this strike a chord with you??

[ATTACH=CONFIG]35128[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]35127[/ATTACH]

Two more.can anybody tell me what is missing from the instrument panel.the red button is just a plastic stopper.

Screw on metal cover to hold in the bulb to illuminate the instruments.

I recognise that MkII from a previous thread. Was it for sale somewhere in the Midlands.....

The back drop of the brick building and the machinery on the floor to the side look familiar :undecided::idea::thumbsup:

Well done for getting some pics up Toby....Now you need to create and album and populate that with the pictures.

Cheers

yes it was the one on e-bay.It was just screaming out to be restored.Not just left out to rot.Going to pick it up with a Foden 8x6 drops truck in the next two weeks.first job is to replace the fuel pump diaphram,then replace the oil.At the time of testing the sump was gaining oil.(petrol leaking through the pump and into the sump)and smoking a bit when you rev it up Hopefully the oil change will do the trick.water temperature stayed in the middle so seams ok.

Only thing that is worrying me at the moment is will i be able to find the missing parts.Clive said that he may have a fuel filler cap.I hope that i can get all the bits.

The following parts are still needed.

1Gear nob.dont know wear the gears are.does first gear engage four wheel drive and act as a crawler gear.

2x battery boxs with the lids

1x gear box tunnel cover

Maybe a full set of seat belts

Second job will be to spray WD40 around all the door and hatch surrounds to free them off.Front Hatches wont open but the two pumps seam to build pressure up so i will disconnect the two rams. and try to open them A good steam clean down sould shift all the crap.The box section behind the head lamp panel has rotted but these should be easy to fabricate.thr radiator seams to hold its water and has been filled with anti freeze.its going to be parked up in a barn over the winter so should be out of the weather.

What other areas do i need to look at ?

The plan is to run through all the mechanical bits fist and get it running.

I really need to look at other pigs to get a good idea how to drive one properly and to see what i am missing. so wear abouts are you all.

Regards

Toby

Toby I have a take off fuel pump pump which seems ok when I lever it £25 if you want. I may have a gear knob. I am near Salisbury if you want me to run through things to do & things not to do.

I would make sure the handbrake is off as the brakes can easily seize when stored like that. I would jack up the wheels in turn & ensure that they are free to turn. When you do drive it make sure the 4WD lever is disengaged & if it doesn't move you have a 4x2. I'm not being flippant as I once bought a Pig over the phone which turned out to be a 4x2.

my pig axles got blown up by the previous owner pulling awy in first gear and not knocking it out of four wheel drive when going in to scond hence it all wound up and went bang after about three miles and left him with a stuck pig in bristol in the rush hour o what fun.... Also you have the blinds that pull down over the vision slots pull them down and see if there is any writing on them on mine it has writing but i would not put on here what it said about be?%^7st. Also on the engine there may be a small round pot with a screw on lid if there is take the lid off and you may find the rebuild data in there. Hope this helps >>>>

Another Pig for someone on Milweb

http://www.milweb.net/classifieds/large_image.php?ad=54237&cat=1

I thought I may have read this wrong but it does say:

"Humber Pig FV1611 1953 and authenticated by the IMPS"

Strange that the FVRDE Specification 9224 for FV1611 was not finalised until 25 March 1959. The advertiser may have got it wrong but it would be a shame if an organisation body that "authenticates" these things doesn't understand when these vehicles were actually made.