Monty look alike.....

Jack

Pull up a sandbag. As a youngster I was vaguely aware that my aunt had served during the war. In fact I heard the story often enough (whenever a particular film came on) but it simply never registered.

I joined up, did seven years in armd recce, then got fed up and took the advice of my former Paymaster to transfer into the Pay Corps (and what a great career move it turned out to be).

Then a decade ago I came into possession of a suitcase full of my long-dead mother's memorabilia. Including pictures of her sister Daisy in uniform. Then I remembered all the stories.

Daisy was attached RAPC and posted to RPO Leicester under the command of Lt Col M. E. Clifton-James, Monty's double.

What a coincidence that 40 years after my aunt, I transferred to RAPC and spent much of my seven years dealing with RPO Leicester, yet despite the stories I had been told as a child, my reasons were entirely personal and unrelated.

It's a small world.

Checking C-J's wiki entry ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/M._E._Clifton_James ), I found a lovely line:

It was even parodied by Spike Milligan, in concept if not in plot, in the Goon Show episode 'I was Monty's Treble'("So, we need forty thousand Monty's doubles, eh? We'll have to form regiments!").