armourd truck fated to be...

DrDiesel

The story.

During my holiday me and my family passed a small village in mid sweden, I saw an armoured mv at an farm. My family don´t share my intrest so we didn´t stop.

Two weeks later I was invited to a party at a neighbor, they were all chefs and not att all intrested in vehicles. How ever one of the lads showed some intrest in my UAZ 469 that I used that night, this lad turned up to be the brother of the on who owned the armoured truck.

Next weekend its off to the farm for some business.

PS. Not my on the picture but similar.:cool2:

This is an SKP m/42 Scania. -42

"Scania Bodywork,Armoured"

kp-bil.jpg

Edited by DrDiesel

The story.

During my holiday me and my family passed a small village in mid sweden, I saw an armoured mv at an farm. My family don´t share my intrest so we didn´t stop.

Two weeks later I was invited to a party at a neighbor, they were all chefs and not att all intrested in vehicles. How ever one of the lads showed some intrest in my UAZ 469 that I used that night, this lad turned up to be the brother of the on who owned the armoured truck.

Next weekend its off to the farm for some business.

PS. Not my on the picture but similar.:cool2:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]33173[/ATTACH]

This is an SKP m/42 Scania. -42

So will you be buying it?

Looks like a greatvehicle.

The term KP stands for Body Armour (Karosseri Pansar). Both Volvo and Scania Vabis Kp-manufactured cars by building on the chassie m/1942 with an armored body. The vehicles came to be known VKP (Volvo) or SKP (Scania).

It has built about 350 Kp-cars. In 1956 they were armed with a double machine gun m/1936.

Baptisam for Kp-cars were in Swedish UN Staff in Congo 1961st They were equipped with a specially constructed tower to protect the machine gunner. Kp-cars became so popular among other nations' UN battalions that they refused to continue their service unless they also were supplied with Kp-cars.

skp-congo-1.jpeg

Edited by DrDiesel

Hej du doktor diesel,

The KP-cars saved many lives in the Congo conflict, not only Swedish ones. The Irish, Indian and Ethiopian troops of the UN brigade in Elisabethville demanded use of the KP-cars when moving around the war zone. The Swedish drivers and machine gunners thus had to be on duty almost 24 hours a day.

Its quite amazing that a vehicle, based on a commercial engine/frame setup, and built not to last too long, was in use by the Swedish army, notably the armored units in Gotland, well into the 90's.

goran_noren [at] yahoo [dot] com

Göran Norén

Lidingö

KP-bil_Elisabethville_Congo_1961.jpg