Interesting 1930/1940s maps

gritineye

Good link

I seen something similar before but the link has changed -perhaps there was previously a problem with copyrights. The old 1930-40s maps were those that the 1958 definative maps were based on, these were quite heavily used by organisations such as the Ramblers and Rural England to re-establish rights of way which were being lost due to temporary changes during WW2 and during the changes to argriculture in the 1950s.

These maps are really good for seeing the way the land was when defences were built to defend britain in WW2 as many roads particulary in the South East have little resemblence to 1940.

Whether the sample overview of Kirkby Steven that popped up when I used it is a good example as nothing much changed in that area in 70 years -you'll still get chased off the Rights of Way on Warcop if you try using them.:shocked::-D

Steve

Steve, thanks for the background info, that link was the one sent to me by my mate as we have just had a great few days up there on the Settle Carlisle railway, not meant as an example really... :-)

As you say very useful if for instance you are trying to understand pillbox positions ect.

gritineye

we have just had a great few days up there on the Settle Carlisle railway

Yes a great route, did you go to the Eden Valey Railway? -it looked very lack lustre last time I was up that way.

That's another thing this map site is good for -pre Beeching railways, if your so inclinded.

Steve