New M149A2 Water Buffalo

I just won at auction a 1990 M149A2 tank trailer(Water Buffalo) manufactured by Elliott Machine Works. It is equipped with a 1514 L stainless steel potable water tank and carries NATO 3-color camo paint. It appears to be in excellent condition, but I have not yet pulled it home. It also has good tires on it. It will take a few weeks to get the paperwork together so that I can pick it up. It is currently located at Camp Lejeune, a U.S. Marine Corps. base. I intend to pull it with my M35A2 truck. I'll use it for watering on my property and for military vehicle rallies and parades.

24091944.jpg

24091942.jpg

Hi Gary,

Very interesting trailer you have won there. It's interesting how you guys bid for equipment and then have to go to the base to collect it. In this country most of the equipment is sold by one company (Withams) and they collect the equipment from the various bases around the country and take it back to their yard. When you buy a vehicle or trailer you then have to go to their premisis to collect it.

Compared to other military trailers are these expensive in the USA ????

The M149A2 trailers go for more than conventional trailers. They are much more rare. This one cost me $940.00 USD, but prices are very dependent on condition of the equipment and the location. I've seen some fantastic looking vehicles and trailers that were just too far away. The furthest I've traveled to bring something home was an M105A2 trailer I pulled for 923 miles home, but the entire trip was ~1850 miles. Normally, this is not something I would do, but the trailer was in like-new condition with new top and new tires, although it was a 1968 model.

The M149A2 trailers go for more than conventional trailers. They are much more rare. This one cost me $940.00 USD, but prices are very dependent on condition of the equipment and the location. I've seen some fantastic looking vehicles and trailers that were just too far away. The furthest I've traveled to bring something home was an M105A2 trailer I pulled for 923 miles home, but the entire trip was ~1850 miles. Normally, this is not something I would do, but the trailer was in like-new condition with new top and new tires, although it was a 1968 model.

Sounds about the same sort of pricing over here, the last US Water Baffalo i saw was for sale at £850.

Can't belive the miles you have to do to get things, so easy to forget over here how lucky we are.

• 3 weeks later...

My paperwork finally cleared and I was able to pick up my M149A2 trailer (Water Buffalo) from Camp Lejeune Marine Corps base in North Carolina. The pickup went without a hitch, except for the long 1023 mile round trip, some of which was caused by a very long detour. I arrived on site at about 0700 and one of the guys let me in early to hitch up my Ford F150 to the trailer. I was on the road home before my actual appointment time. I am extremely happy with the water buffalo. It is in virtually perfect conditon. I was under the impression it was a 1990 model, but was surprised to learn that it was manufactured in November 2000. All I need to do to make it perfect is replace the silicone rubber seal on the cover, straighten one valve handle, and reseal one pipe joint, which is currently wrapped in duct tape. Tires are virtually new, with rubber plugs still visible. I'm not sure whether I will keep it or sell it. I've already been offered twice the auction price I paid. I had to take it easy on the way home because of the almost 3,000 Lbs weight of the trailer and no trailer brakes hooked up. No problems, however. I will be pulling it in a parade with my M35A2 truck next Saturday.

IMG_3507.jpg

IMG_3506.jpg

IMG_3505.jpg

M35A2.jpg

• 1 year later...

Just came across this thread. I am looking at moving a M149A2 about 500 miles with a 1/2 ton Chevy. I understand you moved this one with a F150. Can you please advise on the pitfalls, if any, you ran into? The selling agency is warning me about the hitch height required and the inability of it to go much lower than 3 feet. Any advice??? Thanks much!

Fuel over here is about $9.00 per gallon (Imperial) slightly more than U.S....... you would have to thing very hard about long distances...... so 1850 miles at 20mpg would work out at $832.50 cents.......Ouch!!!!! (My Halftrack only does 3 miles per gallon....Ouch, ouch, ouch.) The trailer looks very nice.

Regards from Over The Pond

We too have a Canadian version of the same albeit a bit older.

The trick with the hitch height is to scotch the wheels both sides front and rear and use a hi lift style jack to raise the tongue so you can stow the landing wheel and then lower the tongue onto your hitch. Thats what we do.

Technically because they are fitted with air brakes in this province I could get pinched by the ministry of transport if I was caught towing without the air brakes connected.

I would yank the hoses to avoid that being seen.

Take some extra chain and fasteners as the military safety chains are not long enough in my experience.

You could use cribbing and a bottle jack.

R