Scammell ala South Africa!

Hi guys,

In my hunt for Saracen spares, I stumbled upon this vehicle that I thought did not exist in South Africa. I have also posted this in another thread http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?19274-South-African-MV-Scrapyard-finds

I have been intrigued by these vehicles ever since I laid eyes on them in this Forum and then on Youtube with the leads given.

I would like to know from the boffins whether this is an Explorer or a Pioneer, I don't even know if there are any other models. I did not do any further research because of myassumed non-existence of them in South Africa.

From another local info source, he said that there were two examples in South Africa at the time.

I assume a South African installed diesel engine.

The marks on the tyres shows that it has survived some veld fires!

Regards,

Monty.

Slide59.JPG

Slide60.JPG

Slide61.JPG

Slide62.JPG

Slide63.JPG

That, Monty, is a WW2 vintage Pioneer. Nice find - be very careful though as it may only be sleeping, and not in fact dead. They have been known to awaken suddenly in the presence of a caring soul and this one might even follow you home if it thinks you will fuel and water it :-)