Polish army ID

Morris C8

Can you ID the polish bages & any paper work. I have a pay book and army photos, for Sgt B.Czajko Army number 18842/45 or 261/c/1915/III and his PRC number 30036824. They came with some paper work. Think he was a Sgt in the Polish Army, has a 1 under his capbadge , 1st Army corps ? and a badge, looks like an arm with a sword. The photo of him taken in march 1944. i have allso a photo of him in the army in November 1942 in british battledress with Poland on his arm. I think he was in the Polish army from 1937. Think the card is from the Carpathian Rifle Div Italy.

Thanks for any help.

poland Sgt  B . Czajko badge.jpg

poland 8.jpg

poland 9.jpg

Edited by Morris C8
more info

Well i have been looking on the web and found this info. he was in the 3rd Carpathian Rifle Div at Italy and has an award, card number 23918. and later on in the 1st Polish Armoured Corps, on his BD he has the 1st Armoured Corps badge [steel Fist] and the cloth badge on his right sholder on his BD. Found the photos of the badges on Web sights.

If you havn't already worked it out, the card is essentially a permit for cadet Bogdan Czajko to display and wear the unifom and insignia of the 3rd division of the Carpathian Rifles. The 1915 will be his army number rather than DOB! As you may know, the Carpathians are a 1500km range of mountains which include the the Polish border with Slovakia.

Thanks mike for the info, his date of birth was 15.8.1915. I have one other Polish paybook and his army number is 73640/242/I , but on the photo in his pay book it is 73640AP he enlisted in Paris on 29/11/44, i wonder what he did before the 29 Nov 1944. He came to live in the UK and he had to enlist in the PRC in 1946.

scan0047.jpg

Edited by Morris C8

Morris C8

....but on the photo in his pay book it is 73640AP he enlisted in Paris on 29/11/44, i wonder what he did before the 29 Nov 1944......

two possibilities

1). had spent the war in France assisting the resistance some Polish refugees in France served in the resistance but were not SOE supplied or trained. I know of one Pole who did this - as a valued asset having been a young doctor in Poland when war broke out, he was also multilingual.

2). was a processed POW, Polish forces recruted from wehrmacht POWs, oddly enough virtually no POWs were recruited by Czech forces, causing Czech forces to decline in number toward end of WW2.

Thanks for your info or could he be a labour camp/factory worker taken from Poland but i can not prove it. one other Aliens Order Certificate i bought off Ebay, He came into the UK from Germany in 1947 and was Ukrainian? on the top of the right page i think it says undetermined? wish this paper could talk.

scan0040.jpg

Edited by Morris C8

Thanks for your info or could he be a labour camp/factory worker taken from Poland but i can not prove it. one other Aliens Order Certificate i bought off Ebay, He came into the UK from Germany in 1947 and was Ukrainian? on the top of the right page i think it says undetermined? wish this paper could talk.

If you Google Baranowicze it becomes clear why his nationality was undetermind the town, later city, changed hands several times, sometime Polish, Russian, German controlled and now in the independent state of Belarus.