Market-Garden 2006 Events

I hope this is the correct area to post this.

I am the owner/webmaster of the CCKW.org site and have been sent here by one of the dual members to send this inquiry to your group.

I would like to know some more about the Market-Garden 2006 events. Specifically the "Race to the Bridge".

My new job starts next week. I am working for a German based company which makes Snow Removal equipment. I am part of their start-up plan in the United States. Much of the Equipment is manufactured at the company's plant in Holten Netherlands.

Fortunately for me training will begin in Holten (50km from Arnhem) on September 9 and I will be staying in the area over the weekend of the 16th with nothing to do. I have been provided information through a separate source about the "Race to the Bridge" event and I would like to know more about it from someone who has participated in the past.

Of course I will not have an HMV but would love to watch the event from the crowd. Any tips on a viewing spot or other inside info would be greatly appreciated. This is my first time to Holland and need some help.

If there are any events or places that you think I should see that weekend please include them.

Many Thanks,

Bill Wolf

WWII vehicle collector

Oh btw, if all goes well with my Dodge I will be present at the events. Unfortunantely I can't participate in the Race to the Bridge since that is only for English (marked) WWII vehicles but they have a different programme for the other vehicles.

The best location to view the Race to the Bridge is, in my opinion at the John Frost bridge. There they will halt and park as well which gives you the time to see them properly. Don't forget to see the para drop on the Ginkel Heath!

Oh btw, if all goes well with my Dodge I will be present at the events. Unfortunantely I can't participate in the Race to the Bridge since that is only for English (marked) WWII vehicles but they have a different programme for the other vehicles.

The best location to view the Race to the Bridge is, in my opinion at the John Frost bridge. There they will halt and park as well which gives you the time to see them properly. Don't forget to see the para drop on the Ginkel Heath!

Hi Joris

I'll be at Ginkelse Heide, the drive in Ede and static display.

I'll take my WC 21 and if its dry will cycle around on my BSA parabike.

Also want to go to Eindhoven.

• 2 weeks later...

So that this US "Tourist" can hit the best activities...Could you guys elaborate on what would be the best event to view on Sunday the 16th. Specifically where?

The company is letting me borrow their "pool" car for the weekend so I will be able to hit the Market-Garden area from where I am staying in Hengelo.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Bill Wolf

On Monday 18 sept is the parade in Eindhoven, also cool.

The Parajump on 16 is cool, lots of vehicles present.

It's held in the morning, after that a few different programmes.

I'll go drive the parade through Ede and the static display there.

British vehicles will leave the Ginkelse Hei after the jumps for a drive to Arnhem.

It's best to dress accordingly if possible, lots of people come in repro/original uniforms.

Maybe you can go to the Ginkelse Heide where the jump is held and ask for a ride with somebody? Don't forget to ask if they return to where you got the ride.

I will be over there this year with some of the guys from the NSMVT group

in fact some of them will be jumping at Ginkel from a Dakota on the drop day

in full kit , we leave from Hull on the night of the 13th coming back on the 18th

anyone want to hook up feel free to give me a shout ,we are camping at Oosterbeek

with the Dutch guys

Commander

If there is any other guys going who want to come to a school in Arnhem with us

on Friday afternoon to meet the kids and do a bit of explaining feel free to get in

touch this is something we started doing a few years ago after being asked if we

wouldn't mind apparently this was a first for them to get involved with the event

paticipants at their school a word of warning do not attend if you suffer from a

nervous condition I forgot what the sound of a class of screaming little kids was like

C

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday was the Parajump and parade in Ede near Arnhem.

I was supposed to go in my Dodge but the organisation had too many vehicles and mine would just sit near at the barracks so this wouldn't work.

Luckily Joris agreed to having us as passengers. (Thanks!!!) :tup:

Me, my brother, his 2 kids, our Mum and a English friend (James).

James drove from England in his car, leaving Fridayevening and arriving Sat. 07:00 hours, no sleep!. :yawn:

width=640 height=480http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a264/T214/GinkelseHeide2006150Medium.jpg[/img]

Joris, Mark the co-owner and all of us had a wonderful day, baking in the sun watching modern Para's and veterans in tandamjump coming from the sky.

Some were dropped by Dakota.

width=640 height=480http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a264/T214/GinkelseHeide2006047Medium.jpg[/img]

When we drove the parade through Ede I took the Parabike, lots of fun.

Unfortunately near the end of the drive Joris's Dodge broke down.... :banghead: and we got a tow from a WC54.

width=640 height=480http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a264/T214/GinkelseHeide2006154Medium.jpg[/img]

I'll let Joris tell the rest.

The day was great, untill my back differential went to hell. Clutch went up too fast and that was bye bye differential. Eventually we got home on the front drive, after my dad got the driveshaft from the caravan storage where I left it (stupid me). Will post more stories / photos later (probably tomorrow).

I endorse everything posted just got back home to North Staffs and I'm cream crackered today weather was great and a good turn out of veterans as well

the picture of the Dakota with the paras jumping is of the reenactors who pay

for this experience the ones from our group all landed safely this year 2 years ago

one broke his leg but this year he was back again and did it sucessfully sorry

I missed the rest of you guys but the Brit Para guys and their jeeps did the race to the bridge in Arnhem we also got pride of place at the front of the drop zone on Ginkel Heath mind you after having to get up at 05.00 hrs wash, eat, get ready

be inspected and be on the Heath for 07.00 hrs I was getting to feel rather

fazzed by the time the drop had finished but still well worth it

Commander

width=640 height=480http://www.cckw.org/images/rttb_4.jpg[/img]

As a Yank on business in Holland I was lucky enought to get a car from my boss and head for Arnhem over the weekend. By sheer luck I ran into a couple of Brits who had their Humber Heavy Utilities there and had stopped at the same direction sign I had looking for the "drop zone".

They invited me to join them...so I did. I was treated like one of the family and can't Thank them enough for a day of HMV activities that I will never forget.

Bob and Arthur and crew invited me to Ride in the Humber in the "Race to the Bridge". It was a very moving experience for me as we don't have any true WWII Battlefields on the East Coast of the US.

A truly amazing experience that I will never forget. (I got to ride in "Big Phil" the desert one)

Many Thanks lads!

width=640 height=480http://www.cckw.org/images/rttb_1.jpg[/img]

width=640 height=1103http://www.cckw.org/images/rttb_3.jpg[/img]