Memorial Day Margraten American Cemetery

Yesterday, traditionally the day before American Memorial day, on Margraten Cemetery in the Netherlands the biggest Memorial day ceremony was held. We from the Screaming ducks were invited to lay a wreath and attend the ceremony.

The weather was abysmal but that could not stop us from driving down to the southern tip of the Netherlands to the only American Cemetery on Dutch soil. It was the 65th time the ceremony was held there which is remarkable enough on it's own. Amongst the attendees were the Queen of the Netherlands, a number of Dutch statesman, a lot of American brass, the British ambassador and the American secretary of Veteran Affairs. And Enigma!

The fly-by of F16 fighters in missing man formation was cancelled because of the weather which is a shame but a wise move. When it should perform this feat it was raining cats and dogs and I think I even saw the kitchen sink coming down at one time. The Bugler on top of the memorial tower was a brave lad to stand on top in the gale. Unfortunately his performance did suffer somewhat but we were all glad he wasn't blown down.

All in all it was a very special day and somehow it always feels good to "suffer" a bit when attending such ceremonies. Makes us remember what they went through. Shame I'm remembering them by sneezing a lot today but that can't be helped.

Anyway, here are some pictures.

The brass arriving:

The arrival of our Queen, of course now my camera deceided it was time to not open the protective cover completely..

The wreath laying ceremony:

The standard bearers, brave souls!

A nice view of the cemetery (and a lot of umbrellas).

mini-Memorialday_2010 002.JPG

mini-Memorialday_2010 016.JPG

mini-Memorialday_2010 009.JPG

mini-Memorialday_2010 023.JPG

mini-Memorialday_2010 012.JPG

Just back from today's American Memorial Day Service at Madingley, Cambridge. Windy, cold and just a little damp, but you are right in what you say about suffering a bit!! Sadly no 'Sally B' B17 flyover - possibly weather prevented a safe take-off from Duxford.

I've been pondered over the question of re-enactment group presence at these services. I think it speaks volumes for the esteem in which your group is held that you should be invited to attend - you should be very, very proud.

Edited by N.O.S.

Well done to you and your group Joris (and Enigma) . It is always good to see that the sacrifices made by so many are not forgotten in the countries that suffered so much themselves under the German occupation.