mortar emplacement at Ryde IOW

Hi

I'm on holiday on the IOW at the moment (going to the tank museum tomorrow hopefully), and stumbled across the mortar emplacements at Puckpool Park in Ryde. There is alot there and as always, these things raise more questions than they answer.

Has anyone got any info on them or photos perhaps?

Thanks

Paul

Hi

Has anyone got any info on them .... perhaps?

Thanks

Paul

Construction work begun in 1863, completed in 1865 at a cost of (£67,000?). Primarily large calibre mortars as these were just becoming seen as being effective anti shipping weapons. Lots of changes proposed and made, altered etc in its early years. Initially equipped with twenty-one 13inch mortars with prepared platforms for eleven light guns. Changed in 1867 to thirty eight mortars and just five guns. 1868 thirty mortars, four 12inch 25ton guns and one 7inch Armstrong gun. In the 1880's the right hand emplacement was modified to accept an Armstrong barbette mounting and traces of the arrangment survive. In 1898- 1900 the gun emplacements were reworked to take one 10inch breech loader, two 9inch BL's and two 6 inch BL's. I've not been to the site myself but from looking at Google Earth I suspect these are what survive. The mortars would be on the flat area behind them, now partly covered with buildings. Re-occupied for use in 1939 initially as HMS Medina (Fleet Air Arm) then later as HQ of 99th Field Reg RA. Continued in use until 1950.

Thanks for the reply, it goes back further than I thought in history.

Been to the IOW museum this afternoon, they are the friendliest and most easy going lot I have visited I think, and lots of nice toys too, including some really good restoration work going on.