Pioneers on the road

Ventured onto the road briefly tonight. We'll get there with the gearbox but a couple of questions

1. Transmission whine. Gears 1-5 are (relatively) quiet. Sixth really starts to sing. Very loudly. Normal or something wrong?

2. Steering. It doesn't track very true on the road. Seems to have the same wheel shimmy as everything else I've driven on Trac-Grips but you do need to "pilot" it. It tends to dart around. Given that everything is either brand new or just so it this normal or is something, somewhere horribly wrong? The only thing which can be adjusted measures correctly and the wheels are true.

Apart from that pretty much everything else works as it should.

A wonderfull Constructor I've been in is the same Jim ! And this Pioneer , Something went wrong... not quite as noisy in this Explorer Something went wrong... Alas its so long since I've driven Daisy I can't remember ! How bad is that ! :embarrassed:

Ventured onto the road briefly tonight. We'll get there with the gearbox but a couple of questions

1. Transmission whine. Gears 1-5 are (relatively) quiet. Sixth really starts to sing. Very loudly. Normal or something wrong?

2. Steering. It doesn't track very true on the road. Seems to have the same wheel shimmy as everything else I've driven on Trac-Grips but you do need to "pilot" it. It tends to dart around. Given that everything is either brand new or just so it this normal or is something, somewhere horribly wrong? The only thing which can be adjusted measures correctly and the wheels are true.

Apart from that pretty much everything else works as it should.

Sounds about right to me, having done just over 3000 miles since restoration, the gearbox does sing in 5th and 6th at some speeds. As for the steering you just point in the general direction you want to go and hope for the best.:cool2: It does tend to follow the camber of the road so you need a nice flat bit to light your cig.:trustme:

PS nice vidios.

Hope this helps. Alan.

Hmmm, I was fighting with it somewhat more that the chap in the vid.

The update is that after putting it back in the workshop and measuring things properly the front track is a mile out. Toeing out by rather a lot in fact which can't have been helping matters at all.

One or two other mods to make (including backing off the clutch brake to render it U/S while we practce this gearchanging lark) and we'll test it again.

My explorer screams in 6th gear as you can hear in one of my you tube vids on the restoration of big jenny blog. some don't whine at all. other people have rebuilt gearboxes compleatly and still end up with huge whining. They are a tought old box and so long as the oil pump is working i shoulden't worry. My explorer steering is spot on lovely but it is air assisted.

As for changing gear i only use the clutch to start and stop as my clutch brake is currently knackerd so a quick up change is impossible:cry:. So start off in your chosen gear as normal and accelerate, when you need to change up gently ease the load off the box so you can pull it out of gear and let the revs fall off to match the next gear while gently pulling the stick into mesh (you will feel the gentle grinding slowing down as the engine revs fall and the relative cogs start to turn the same speed, when you feel the grind stop pop it into gear and away you go. Changing down is the same but you slip it into neutral and bring the revs up to match the next gear. It all sounds tricky but with a bit of practice seamless effortless gearchanges are possible if you know what gears can be selected at what revs and speed. Tons of you tube vids of clutchless gear changes in big rigs. It's the way to go Drive it like a man:D

That's more like it. With the wheels pointing in the right direction everything goes swimmingly. Steer it with one hand on the road. Turns out that when the manual said on no account must the front wheels toe out they weren't joking.

The gearchanging is getting better since I learned that you don't drive it like a VX220. I'll need to work on the clutchless changes because that is going to ease leg wear somewhat.

Try to link a vid here.....not a Scammell but an american truck with a twin stick being driven very well note the lack of cluch use. The ratios are much closer than the scammells so changes are quicker but you get the idea of what is possible with practiceSomething went wrong...