Vehicle import/ export

russell sprout

FWIW - I looked into importing a DUKW from Australia last year. Auction price went into silly money though so the plans feel through.

Nonetheless - I contacted HM C&E and I.R departments and, from memory part of the VAT would have been waived as it was a historic vehicle but import duties would still have been levied. Then you've got the shipping/handling costs - some one I know shipped a car back from the USA and it was £1800 from port of departure to port of entry. You'll need to add costs to get to and from port of deprture and entry to the bill.

If you are still interested let me know and I'll dig out the stuff I got from Her Majesties money grabbers and extrtioners!!!

I imported my Jeep from the USA and it was the best move. Cross Atlantic chipping cost me £250, but delivery from Felixstowe to Devon cost me a further £300. Import duty and VAT was calculated on the value declared by the vendor on his invoice. All in all i got a great deal. 1944 Jeep purchase cost me £2,000. Delivery and taxes cost me about another £1,000.

I would think it very unlikely that you would get a discount on VAT for importing a historic vehicle, in fact a recent case like this failed at the VAT Tribunal, but that ws for an old Jag. If you need more help, phone the Customs helpline on 0845 0109000. They will probably be quite helpful.

Tim (too)

No, i was lucky it was all done by the vendor. I very much put my trust and wallet in his hands and he did a good job for me. He was also shipping 3 other vehciles to the UK and combined them all in the same crate. Sorry, icant offer much more help than that for now, but i will just make a phonecall and come back to you later.

Tim

Don't know how much you want to do yourself, but I was speaking to somebody who imported a load of classic car's himself. He bought/hired a container, drove all the car's to the dock's and put them in the container himself (got a load of timber in HOME DEPOT and put them all in place-two cars high along the container). He also managed to sort all the paperwork out himself as well-said it wasn't too bad, and he got a bit of a holiday in as well. The only negative side was working in an unventilated container in the middle of a Florida heat wave :-P

So do you fancy a challenge? :?

Ok, i got that bit wrong. Import duty on a vehicle post 1951 is 22%, 1950 or before it is 10%. VAT of course gets added on top of the cost price + import duty.

My mate who moves antique cars around for a living has a contact in the USA for shipping to the UK. He says on average you would need to look at £1,500 to transport a Jeep sized vehicle from anywhere in the USA to the UK. Obviously cheaper if it starts of near a port.

If you want more info send me a PM and i will give you a phone number.

Regards

Tim (too)