Bedford 4x4 truck find

montie

Question

Hi guys,

I think this question I have absolutely fits this topic. I can get hold of a Bedford flatnose 4x4 truck very cheap. It was bound to be cut up as scrap metal and I can't allow that! It's mass plate states around 8500 kg's, it has no engine, gearbox or loadbed. It has the cab with windows, chassis, axles, wheels with fair tyres, transferbox with all propshafts, airbrakes or air-assist, I'm not sure. It appears that the motor and gearbox was removed for whatever reason and then towed to the scrap-metal dealer to be cut up.

We used to have similar trucks when I was an infantery soldier in the late 70's in the South African Army but have very little knowledge on these trucks. I saw, when searching about that one gets MJ, MK and TK versions.

Can anybody give me a quick breakdown of these vehicles and the different models? I really would like to know what I am getting into. Dang, and I am still busy with the Saracen!

I will look for more particulars on my next visit but it will rather be to remove the vehicle from site before somebody goes crazy with a cutting torch!

I saw an ad in a national newspaper for one in a fair condition with dropside loadbed for R 20 000.00 (about 1 700 British pounds) Maybe less trouble?

About the "Hi guys", I have been wondering for some time, are there any female members on the forum? Just curious.

4 answers to this question

the mj was the newer version of the mk with a turbo instead of the multifuel engine of the mk

the tk was civi version and just two wheel drive

if you have a look on the chassis behind the passenger side door you will find the data plate which shows date of manafucture and type

i have pictures on the thread my new bedford of a mk

hope this helps

cost of a engine and gearbox expect to pay same again as truck was

Hi guys,

I trashed the idea of buying the Bedford but showed it to a friend who is looking for a cab. I begged the scrapyard owner not to damage the diffs, springs gear and transfer boxes when cutting it up. The Rand /Pound ratio is 12 to 1 and I have a friend in the exporting/ importing business for somebody in need.

Monty.