UNIMOG 404 s used as morter carriers in Germany

mogmaner

I am slowly restoring my 1958 unimog 404s ,and wish hope some one may be able to help trace pic or marking details of these moters in british youse in germany ,

They were only used by the Berlin Brigade (aka 29 (Infantry) Brigade)

I seem to remember that they were originally painted "Tannen-Grün", a colour also used by the German Police and Bundesgrenzschutz. Berlin Brigade plate on one side and , of course, the red "Infantry" flash with the appropiate number( in white). (This goes back to 1966, when the Green Howards came to Munsterlager for an annual training exercise - something they couldn't do in Berlin)

although obviously not a Mog, this pic shows the colour used:

VWT3Tannengrn-2.jpg

Roger

Thanks for the info can start some research now .I remember passing a colum of 404 on th A1 near RAF Wittering in the late 80s not sure of the yousers but beleave they were somewe captured in the Foulklands .

Hi

Unimogs were and possibly still are used on Harrier squadrons for support of the a/c ie towing etc

On field helicopter squadrons we had to use landrovers to tow, mainly "lightweights" fitted with work platforms

and a 24v a/c connection.

Some may have been nabbed in the Falklands but they were standard issue anyway. So I suppose would be painted standard colours.

Iain

I beleave they had problems with parts supply ,some thing to do with the origanal owners having not finished paying for them,Thourt it would make a change tosee a mog in british marking for a change,I beleave the harrier force now youse JCB fasttracs.

I beleave they had problems with parts supply ,some thing to do with the origanal owners having not finished paying for them,Thourt it would make a change tosee a mog in british marking for a change,I beleave the harrier force now youse JCB fasttracs.

yes the order was not fully paid for , I know it was mainly the G Wagen contract which must have included a number of mogs , so getting parts proved difficult because Mercedes put a block on them :-)

yes the order was not fully paid for , I know it was mainly the G Wagen contract which must have included a number of mogs , so getting parts proved difficult because Mercedes put a block on them :-)

The Argentinian Army still has a number of Mogs and G-wagons in its inventory. Have a snoop in SAORBATS.

My Belgian Unimog was painted in British colours (THE VIKINGS) when we first got her. There are some photos on http://heidilandrover.webeden.co.uk in the "Mog Photos" section. The previous owner based his paint-job on photos from a relative who drove Mogs in Germany, so it should be fairly accurate. I can probably dig-out some more photos of the Moglet in her previous colourscheme if you want and e-mail them to you.

Gareth

OK, here is a photo of Moglet shortly after we adopted her. Painted by her previous owner based on photos of British Mogs in Berlin...

the black paint was relatively late , it depends on what era you're doing it in. In the mid-60s, they were just "Tannengrün". Much later (early to mid 70s) they were painted in standard British Army Olive Drab/Black.

Mines a 1958 so will go for the early style ,will have to prime the wife for some art work ,were there any side markings on the doors ,hope to have some sides for the bed in the next few weeks.

Whentthe Green Howards came over, they didn't have side markings- they weren't all that usual in the 60s anyway

The only markings on the side were black squares, one on each door, similar to the one on the bonnet. As I said: the previous owner painted it and based his design on photos taken in Berlin. I'm not sure of the exact era of the photos, though.

Happy Mogging! :-D

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...

came across this pic of a 404 unimog in british markings ,my first thourts were light recover with work shop body but looking closer there are arial mounts on the roof ,wunder if any one has seen this body befor and can shed any light on its youse.

831.JPG