tracing military vehicle reg.

haybaggerman

Question

I did a quick search but couldn't find this covered on the forum, although I'm sure it has been somewhere.

My new saracen has mil reg. unknown. Would the DVLA have a record of it from when first registered? Also, I looked at the slip of paper in the engine compartment, no number here apart from base overhaul in 1976 and engine serial number. Could it be traced from this?

Last question, where is the id plate hidden on a saracen just in case we have missed it.

Thanks

Paul

8 answers to this question

Paul,

The DVLA would not have the Saracen on their database if it has not been civilian registered before. The slip of paper in the container on the engine, is only a record of mods carried out on the engine and date of engine overhaul. As engines were changed on quite a regular basis, for one reason or another, this document would be of little use in tracing the vehicle. Some Saracens had the data plate mounted under the right hand seat, next to the rear doors.

Hello not liking to jump on your-Band waggon, but I would like to know a bit of history about my Matador circa 194.

Gary1 if anybody can help that would be great! ...The Military Reg was 12 RH 46 The demob one is DRE 507E

Chassis no O853787 was renumbered 88YY74 in 1949 before becoming 12RH46 in 1950. It was once owned by Paslow, at Stourport. I do not have its original wartime census number.

Was recorded as a working Timber Crane in 2001.

Edited by antarmike

hello Mike, thanks for your research thus far...Is there nothing further we/you can do to find out exactly what the old Girls role was during it`s military life...Is there any more informtion I can funish you with to hlep? G

I doubt whether RLC museum, Deepcut will hold the Record card. But they are your first port of call.

Firstly, you need to carefully sand off the top section of the front radiator panel paint. Pretty well all saracens had the census number painted direct onto the armour, (where the radiator cap would be in a truck), and unless somone has blasted it right down to the metal, it might still be there.

Secondly, some saracens had the aluminium ID plate mounted under the left hand hull escape side door but I am afraid it is very visible and so very pinchable.

If it is an early, non uparmoured one, there will be a small plate welded directly above the centre of the back doors. This will not have the 00AA00 number on but will have ALVXXX which is the Alvis build or chassis number from which you can probably work out the 00AA00 number by reference to orders placed and other surviving examples. This plate was removed when the uparmouring took place but must have been replaced somewhere but I don't know where I am afraid.

Removeable parts like the turret, roof plates and side doors should also be marked with the ALV number but not sure where or how: may just have been a chinagraph pencil on the silver paint.

Thankyou John

It was done up by a museum a few years ago and it looks like the number may have been lost at that stage. Also, it is an uparmoured one so that plate will be gone too. Still, when I take delivery I'll have a good look around for the plate, although I presume someone has "collected" it at some stage

Cheers

Paul