Tank vets attending...

Hi guys - not being lazy here but there was talk of some tank veterans attending A&E.

Is any able to give me any details of their time in service during WWII.

Just fine tuning some details for a presentation I have to give :)

Many thanks for your help!

Jack.

Hi Jack

My uncle is going to be there, he was a crewman on a sherman with the Lothians and Border Horse Regiment. He fought through North Africa and then up through Italy. Later he was in Europe in a "Honey Tank", a turretless stuart in which he did recce work, becoming troop leader. This he attributes to the low survival rate in this role, he had a reputation for leading a charmed life. He ended up driving Staghounds but saw no action in these. Adrian is going to re-acquint him with his sherman.

The thread for all the info plus some recollections from the war is

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?15398-Sherman-Crewman-Frank-Dennis-Gent

Do you have a suggestion as to the best time for me to bring him over?

Cheers

Paul

• 3 weeks later...

Great work thanks Paul - I will be in touch nearer the time but would your uncle be happy with some pictures being taken of him and Adrians Sherman?

Hi Jack

My uncle is going to be there, he was a crewman on a sherman with the Lothians and Border Horse Regiment. He fought through North Africa and then up through Italy. Later he was in Europe in a "Honey Tank", a turretless stuart in which he did recce work, becoming troop leader. This he attributes to the low survival rate in this role, he had a reputation for leading a charmed life. He ended up driving Staghounds but saw no action in these. Adrian is going to re-acquint him with his sherman.

The thread for all the info plus some recollections from the war is

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?15398-Sherman-Crewman-Frank-Dennis-Gent

Do you have a suggestion as to the best time for me to bring him over?

Cheers

Paul

hi Jack ,I hope it is ok I have mentioned this event to Ken Tout well known author of books about his time in Normandy in tanks and he has expressed an interest in coming

Nigel

Bl**dy hell Nigel!

Yes please from all of us! What do I need to do to make this happen??

hi Jack ,I hope it is ok I have mentioned this event to Ken Tout well known author of books about his time in Normandy in tanks and he has expressed an interest in coming

Nigel

Ken Tout thought of how he would get out of a burning tank:

'...hoping to avoid the blazing hell which the back of the tank has become even whilst I am making my leap. It has happened to two of my friends who were gunners. One made his jump and hit the ground with all his clothing aflame but otherwise uninjured. He said that it all happened so quickly that he did not have enough time to be afraid. The other gunner did not move quickly enough. He was caught inside the tank.

The explosions of the ammunition, sufficient to knock out fifty tanks, served as a humane killer before the furnace began to grill him where he sat. Something in my being revolts more against the slow grilling of my flesh after death than against the sudden swift shattering of mind and body in a massive explosion.’

Ken Tout, 40 Hours of Battle

Nigel

Nigel - now in touch with Ken and working on making this happen! Great work Nigel!

Nigel - now in touch with Ken and working on making this happen! Great work Nigel!

Just in from Ken.....

"Jack,

I might manage either Saturday or Sunday arriving late morning, my wife Jai driving. A minor stroke a year or two ago has reduced stamina and slightly diminished right side movement - minimal but to be remembered.

Not sure what you do in addition to 'Tanks, Advance!', e.g., meetings, stalls, exhibitions.

The sort of thing I do elsewhere=

1. a 30/45 minutes talk on Operation Totalize, the unique Night March and demise of Michael Wittmann (950 yards away from me).

2. Bring some signed books or sign there.

3. Simply decorate the Christmas tree - beret, blazer, medals, etc.

Whatever ????

K."

great work from you there Jack now who else needs finding?

Funny enough we may have another result - Paul called me this afternoon and I will let haybaggerman tell is more..........:D

Funny enough we may have another result - Paul called me this afternoon and I will let haybaggerman tell is more..........:D

Well, not big news really, no famous authors (as far as I know), however, a nice result all the same.

As some know my uncle is a vet of 2nd Lothian Border Horse and is being reunited with a functioning sherman for the first time since the war ( with kind permission of Adrian). Anyway, this story has been picked up by the Lothians Association who are putting it into their next newsletter for all members with details of Arms and Embarkation and also a general invite for them to attend if they want to. So, we could see a few more tank Vets out there.

Cheers

Paul