British Army Triumph TRWs

Peter4456

Does anyone know when the last Triumphs TRWs left British Army service?

I've seen an EMER publication with amendments to May 1972 - were they still in service then?

Where can I find the records for British Army Triumph TRWs?

Hope someone can help me!

Peter,

Ferret Mk 2/3, 03 CC 42

Does anyone know when the last Triumphs TRWs left British Army service?

I've seen an EMER publication with amendments to May 1972 - were they still in service then?

Where can I find the records for British Army Triumph TRWs?

Hope someone can help me!

Hi Peter,

I can remember some still in service around 1976-77, alongside the newer BSA B40WD. Some of them still looking in good order with their gold lined petrol tanks. I see a few were in a Ruddington auction as late as 1980,

Thanks Richard,

It sounds like they were in service recently enough to have 00 AA 00 numbers then - do you think the RLC at Deepcut will have the record cards for the TRWs?

Peter,

Ferret Mk 2/3, 03 CC 42

Peter,

The most recent army number series I have seen them with was 00 EN 00, I think the last contract for them was in the early 1960's, which would match with EN. Incidentally, AA would have been a RAF number.

Deepcut should have the records, providing you have the army number.

Richard,

Thanks again - I've sent off everything that I have to Deepcut - fingers crossed!

Next question; do you (or anyone else!) know what these numbers (1010-3936) on the TRW tank mean? The 4 in the second picture is painted over what looks like 'MP' in red - obviously Military Police, but 4th Division perhaps?

Over to you (again!)

Peter

Ferret Mk 2/3, 03 CC 42

IMG_0880..jpg

IMG_0882..jpg

Next question; do you (or anyone else!) know what these numbers (1010-3936) on the TRW tank mean?

Peter,

That looks like the asset code, usually painted on windscreens of vehicles when they are in store, to identify types. I cannot find my book to check the number at present. MP in red on white background looks to be typical Military Police. I doubt the 4 refers to division though.

• 2 weeks later...

Richard,

Thanks for your help - BINGO!!

The card from Deepcut confirms the number is the asset code and the bike's Army reg no is 04 EN 28. The Date in Service is January 1965 and it was struck off in April 1977 having served with 1 (Br) Corps Provo Coy & 115 Provo Coy, RMP, in Germany.

I thought it would have been sold at Ruddington 1977 /78, but I started a thread for the Ruddington catalogues and the great guru Clive Elliott couldn't find it, so perhaps it was sold elsewhere or in even in Germany. I'm now looking to trace someone from the RMP units who may have ridden the bike.

Thanks again,

Peter,

Ferret Mk 2/3, 03 CC 42

Richard,

Thanks for your help - BINGO!!

The card from Deepcut confirms the number is the asset code and the bike's Army reg no is 04 EN 28. The Date in Service is January 1965 and it was struck off in April 1977 having served with 1 (Br) Corps Provo Coy & 115 Provo Coy, RMP, in Germany.

I thought it would have been sold at Ruddington 1977 /78, but I started a thread for the Ruddington catalogues and the great guru Clive Elliott couldn't find it, so perhaps it was sold elsewhere or in even in Germany. I'm now looking to trace someone from the RMP units who may have ridden the bike.

Thanks again,

Peter,

Ferret Mk 2/3, 03 CC 42

Good news then Peter. If it was disposed of in Germany, it could well have been through Moenchungladbach as I think that was the equivalent of Ruddington.

Peter,

The most recent army number series I have seen them with was 00 EN 00, I think the last contract for them was in the early 1960's, which would match with EN. Incidentally, AA would have been a RAF number.

Deepcut should have the records, providing you have the army number.

Hi Richard,

its going back a while and my memory isnt the best, but I think my old TRW was 05 EN 00, if that helps?

• 2 months later...