1963 Landrover Engine_Military Original or Replaced by PO's

Rover8FFR

251 pre-fix is 2A pet. 2286cc (supplied as 7:1 cr)

The head could have been changed to 8:1 , the block could equally have been taken off another engine & ancillaries changed around it. There are a few specific military pre-fix (specifically for some FFR) but 251 is not one of them.

This is quite a complex subject. I prefer to examine the hardware existing and then determine what is correct / wrong & then consider the possibilities , not much has survived being molested over 40 years.

If you are fitting a 24V 90A genny then to be correct you should be looking for such as a 3mb engine prefix 951 , this has a military timing case cover with a machined platform to take 4 qty. 3/8" set-bolts to secure the genny bracket (pressed steel) located at the dizzy side of the engine (this is when the 7 stud military water pump is used).

===============

The 24v 40A genny (yours probably had / has) used different mountings (lighterconstruction) with different mounting bracket & belt tensioning , IIRC there are a few differences with the belt pully idler assembly.

Your existing engine could have been fitted with this , if you don't have all the bits - it may pay to watch & wait until a lump comes available with all the correct bits even if the genny is useless & the engine raxed up, you may be lucky & get some screened electrics with it. Once you have these bits - you just need a sound block & head with a Solex 40PA carb. to look correct.

To be honest - for a 40A genny correct set up with a 40PA - much more of a project and costly than a 951 prefix that are easy to come by (assuming you want a show vehicle with the bonnet raised).

==========

For FFR - I stick to very late Lightweights , I have a Rover 10 (early type) with all the bits to restore it , but that is a lot easier as negative earth 12 volt , still looking for a good (much more rare) Rover 10 (late type) but probably unobtanium. More 6 & 8 turn up than 10's ..

This is quite a complex subject. I prefer to examine the hardware existing and then determine what is correct / wrong & then consider the possibilities , not much has survived being molested over 40 years.

If you are fitting a 24V 90A genny then to be correct you should be looking for such as a 3mb engine prefix 951 , this has a military timing case cover with a machined platform to take 4 qty. 3/8" set-bolts to secure the genny bracket (pressed steel) located at the dizzy side of the engine (this is when the 7 stud military water pump is used).

===============

The 24v 40A genny (yours probably had / has) used different mountings (lighterconstruction) with different mounting bracket & belt tensioning , IIRC there are a few differences with the belt pully idler assembly....

Ruxy mine is the 40A version and all the mountings, idler pulley are etc, all in-situ and you are right they look a little less robust to me from memory when I had a ser3 109 24v FFR. I even have a Solex carb in serviceable condition. mine originally had a zenith conversion. All the ancills are exactly as described in the user handbook 18358 issued March 1962, so happy with that. I'll get some pics this weekend whilst engine bay is a little better stripped back. Cheers

Took some more photos of the engine now I have done more stripping back.

The timing cover is now clearly shown with its parts number. Not sure if these numbers refer to EMER references or civilian landrover parts. I noticed some bolt heads lock wired, but as this was the same on my ser 3 FFR assume it's a military detail? Also took pictures of casings with part numbers on bell housing, gearbox, transfer box etc.

Also managed to uncover more of the engine paint colour that is a grey with a hint of green. Similar to RAL 9018 Papyrus White or is it BS216 Eau-de-Nil?

IMAG0021..jpg

IMAG0015..jpg

IMAG0010..jpg

IMAG0018..jpg

IMAG0019..jpg

IMAG0011..jpg

IMAG0020..jpg

You need a S2A rivet counter to date the engine serial No. accurate to compare to the build date of the vehicle.

Unfortunately you can never say with paint colour , ABRO re-cons get a full double-header coat of SKY paint , the reflectance shows a different shade to a thin single coat direct on to rough cast iron. Solihull factory paint to my eye has more of a greenish lime content..

Lots of cast markes - are just that , often they are near to a Rover Drg. No. but don't match.

For instance mil. S2A front timing cases could be S2A or S3 No. 554541 BUT the other covers used on S2 & S2A mil. engines were Nos. 549532 , 514451 , 531723 , 516029

However - your set up around the basic block - does seem correct for that period of FFR