just an Idea

paul connor

how about a vehicle owners survey.

for example it would show a list of what we all have at our disposal. so,

landrover Defenders x 40

humber pigs x15

cvrt stallions x1

a total of what we all have together, and even better if we could link user names to each, that way you can make new friends with similar vehicle owners and get help/ideas etc

just a though

Paul, there may be people who have an interest & knowledge of a particular type of vehicle who no longer own such a vehicle but would be excluded from your list yet have advice to offer.

There are people who own a particular vehicle but may not want to get involved in giving advice. This may be lack of time, lack of information ('help! why doesn't my vehicle work anymore' type of question), the fact that the question has already been covered & the answer could be found with a 'search' or feeling unsure of their answer as it might not be quite right or subject to criticism or long wrangles.

Answering a post can take up to half an hour or sometimes more if looking up in books is required. I get phone calls & emails on a regular basis & it does take up time. So some posted queries I have to walk away from if I've had enough for the day, but certain topics Humbers, Shorlands, EMERs & part number are hard to resist.

So basically those with knowledge & the time will be answering anyway as they will tend to hang around those parts of the forum where the topics & vehicles are of interest to them.

Not sure if it;s the same concept as Paul had in mind - but the Saab Owners Club have a database of owners which covers the following:

Who you are

Where you are

What you own - or owned

Whether you are prepared to offer support to other users 0 if so to what level

If memory serves (because I can't find a copy right now) they publish a yearly booklet called TAS (Technical Advisory Service IIRC) and if you opt not to offer assistance of any kind you do not appear in that publication, you just get counted in the model surveys.

If you do want to help it can be anything from just offering a cuppa and a shoulder to cry on through to roadside assistance via telephone technical support and lending a hand in the garage. This is then shown in the directory so if you conk out in your two-stroke you can find th nearest person who might be able to help - the RAC not being too hot on two stroke car engines these days!! :-D

Not sure if it;s the same concept as Paul had in mind - but the Saab Owners Club have a database of owners which covers the following:

Who you are

Where you are

What you own - or owned

Don't think many members would want that much info in the public domain, invite to be turned over...

If you do want to help it can be anything from just offering a cuppa and a shoulder to cry on through to roadside assistance via telephone technical support and lending a hand in the garage. This is then shown in the directory so if you conk out in your two-stroke you can find th nearest person who might be able to help - the RAC not being too hot on two stroke car engines these days!! :-D

This sort of thing

http://hmvf.co.uk/forumvb/showthread.php?14877-Emergency-break-down-support-group&highlight=breakdown run by paulob1