Hello all from 21bk40

21BK40

Hi all, just a little bit about myself by way of introduction. My name is Doug and I am a proud Mk.1 Pig owner living in Hants. I bought my Pig from Richard Beddall some 22 years ago, since then I have fabricated replacement wings & bins to the rear, using the original side & top lids and plan to do the same to the front at some point. I am currently awaiting some brake parts to make the first move towards getting it back on the road this year and will be taking delivery of a set of tyres from Vass's soon (decided to go for 1200x20 Bedford bar grips since Trakgips seem to be near impossible to get !!)

Hope to meet some of you on the circuit once 21BK40 (VSV 659) is back on tarmac.

By the way, here is one to keep you all busy...I have a hole in the roof of my Pig, it's about 12" behind the passenger roof hatch and is about 3" diameter, it has a raised welded on surround and looks to be part of the original maufacture. Does anyone know what it's for ?

Regards to all

DOUG

.I have a hole in the roof of my Pig, it's about 12" behind the passenger roof hatch and is about 3" diameter, it has a raised welded on surround and looks to be part of the original maufacture. Does anyone know what it's for ?

Doug glad you made down on here.

They all have that hole, I have never found an official description of the hole. But photos show that it way used as an entry point for aerial feeds when used in conjuction with a ground mountedl radio mast.

In NI it formed the convenient basis of a mount for the Discharger, smoke grenade No.1 Mk1.

Well, thank you for all your kind welcome comments so far...I knew the hole in the roof poser wouldn't stand for long after Clive got on the case, hello again Clive and thank's for your prompt answer, how are you with medical questions...I have this little rash on the end of my...

Well, thank you for all your kind welcome comments so far...I knew the hole in the roof poser wouldn't stand for long after Clive got on the case, hello again Clive and thank's for your prompt answer, how are you with medical questions...I have this little rash on the end of my...

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Well funnily enough I have recently purchased about 1,000 pages of Army medical reports for the years 1884, 1901 & 1913. It covers diseases, injuries, deaths & sanitation in the UK & the Empire. Quite alarming descriptions & statistics. In danger of going way off topic, but you started it! One location I found that in 1883 one third of the establishment was treated for syph. Any ideas where?

TeeHee, seriously though folkes...how much do "we" know about Pig wheels. Since I started to address the problem of trying to find some suitable tyres, I started to wonder about the compatibility of tyres used by different vehicles for use on the Pig. Looking through my Vanderveen Observers book, I noted that some other vehicls appeared to use the same rims as the Pig and hence compatible tyres, one of the most unexpected matches came from a photo of the "Eager Beaver" seen also elsewhere on the net.

Can anyone enlarge on this issue ?

Doug

One location I found that in 1883 one third of the establishment was treated for syph. Any ideas where?

It was Aldershot actually.:(

No idea about the tyres I'm afraid. I've never had explore that problem as I have a spare set of Mk2 runflats, which will 'see me out'.

Hi Clive, I thought it might be Aldershot but then there were some barracks in and around Fleet & Church Crookham, I thought you might surprise me in saying it was Fleet - not a good advert for joining up though was it !

Regarding the wheels, it was just a random train of thought really, there must have been other vehicles that used the same rims as the Pig. The chap at Vass's told me that the Bedford 1200x20's he was offering definately fitted Pig rims. I did mention reading somewhere about the requirement for a chamfer on the bead in the case of Pig rims, he said that he was aware of this and that some people managed to get otherwise unsuitable tyres to fit by trimming the bead by hand to get them on the rims - not recommended !

Doug, well I think it might have been tempting to assume it was perhaps a further flung outpost of the Empire rather than so close to home.

The only person I know who fitted non standard tyres was Tony in the Brigton area with the brownish pig. If Paul Connor (ex pig owner) doesn't pop up here then PM him. He may either remember what Tony did or may have a contact number for him.

Different size all together but I did buy some 900x16s from Vass last year for the Shorland. I was very impressed with the helpful attitude, polite manner & efficiency of delivery. Not always the case with some dealers.

Hi, Yes I agree with your comments about Vass's, they were extremely helpful and chatty and well worth a phone call if you are looking for something specific. They initially offered me some NOS 1100x20 green goddess spare wheels with tyres mounted for about £60 each, they have a reasonable tread pattern and may well suit somebody on the forum.

They offered advice about getting my runflats off the rims and offered their fitting service to make things a lot easier, they can do everything from motorcycles to quarry trucks and hold large stocks of military tyres.