jeffery quad

vintary

Hello Vintary!

I'm sure we can find something for you. What is your particular interest? Is it Quads in general or very specifically one used in Ireland? Are you a modeller or do you have a connection somewhere along the line? You never know what might turn up on this forum!

Cheers!

Steve

i have an interest in the armoured cars, an old magazine that i have about irish armoured cars said there was a number of jeffery quads in ireland up till 1920 but i have never seen a photo of one or referance in any books/magazine about that part of irish history.

Oh, I see. That's interesting. I must admit that that is new to me as I knew only of the Lancias, Austins and Peerless. The chap who will know is my brother, Tim, who writes here as 'Great War Truck'. I'll give him a nudge and see what he says. We'll find you something!

Steve

Here are some more pictures. The Jeffrey was used along the US-Mexican border in 1916-17 but did not cross it with Pershing. Some went to Canada and quite a few ended up in India. The were also aqdvertised in the Netherlands along with the other Quads during WW 1. I do not know if any were ever sold there. The first picture is in this tread is actualy a reproduction made by Vintage Aviation in Texas and is on display there outside the museum in Columbus New Mexico. The black and white picture was taken in 1916 in Columbus NM during the puntive expedition.

936833533_ed4d4f8868_b.jpg

Picture 017.jpg

Picture 013.jpg

I have just been looking through 'War Cars' by David Fletcher. He says:

'When Sir John Eaton, a wealthy Canadian store proprietor, decided to raise a squadron of armoured cars for service in France in 1915, the Quad was chosen and fitted with a bulky armoured hull with a driving cab at each end and a centrally mounted machine gun turret. Small sponsons, with pistol ports in them, were mounted on one side and the cars had a total weight of about seven tons, power being supplied by a four cylinder Buda engne rated at 40hp. Forty armoured Quads were built and the deal was handled by the Canada Cycle and Motor company of Toronto who traded under the Russell marque so that the cars were often known as 'Russells'.

He goes on to say:

'The Quads arrived in Britain in 1916 but, with the war in France virtually static, the Canadian Army decided that they were not needed at the front. For some time the machines languished at Bulford Camp.'

It was decided to send them to India but the SS Shirala carrying four of them and all of the spares was torpedoed and sunk. Sixteen eventually arrived in India. The remaining twenty were diverted to Ireland at the last minute where ' a serious internal security problem had arisen'.

This appears to have been in July 1917. That's all I have managed to find out this evening but if you are lucky, Tim might come up with a picture.

Steve

Thanks for that Steve. I thought you only bowed in my presence if i dropped a coin first.

Anyway, I cant add much to what has already been written. I have this postcard of a line up of armoured Quads, but i have no idea where it was taken. Probably Ireland, but could be the UK.

Jeffery3.jpg

Interestingly, there was a photo in the latest Military machines International magazine (available in Smiths) which has a photo of what i believe to have been an armoured Quad with the armour having been removed. Interestingly, it claims that it was taken in Australia. it ahs the dual driving position, lowered seats, a different engine and lower radiator to allow for the armour. it is very interesting and worth a look.

There is a very good picture in George Forty's "Photo history of Armoured Cars" of a British armoured Quad. By and large, pictures of the British armoured Quads are quite rare.

Hope that helps.

Tim

• 1 month later...