What is it?

mctaz

Thornycroft J

Taken from the design of the radiator side panels, the two vents in the alloy one on the side panel, the other identation on the top tank, then beside the rim of the mans hat can just be made out a T being the end letter on the casting name on the radiator.

Wheel pattern are typical Thornycroft miltary issue.

Doug

I took the photo and enlarged the area to get the detail. Having a similar truck here in restoration one knows the identifing features.

Note also the tins mounted about the foot step. Not a usual postion rather than being under the deck.

The next question to be answered in the series is the identity of the truck in the background. ( Left hand truck)

The wood work for the deck sides is not the same design as that to the Thornycroft, and appears to be a little shorter in deck length than the Thornycroft. Could be otherwise a different body builder or a subsidy vehicle taken by the army.

The right hand truck in the background loses definition upon enlargement. Wheels appear military style however the radiator appears too wide in relation to height for Thornycroft. Radiator shape also more rounded. Could be Albion or...

Thanks

Doug

Progress is slow. In fact dead slow as a few other more urgent jobs have had to be addressed like fixing tractors and machinery, as they earn the money on the property.

Still searching for another gearbox for the J Thornycroft, while the engine lies here soaking in oil.

My son's Leyland RAF is likewise stalled however now the summer is here its time to get into action again.

Will post some photos as work progresses.

Doug

We keep our eyes open for any kind of spares for vehicles of our era - not just for our own trucks but for anyone with a similar interest who have other makes. Should a Thorny Gearbox turn up over here, then we will let you know. We are always glad to help fellow enthusiasts.

After saying that, I think that you are probably in the best position to find one as I am sure that both Australia and New Zealand are likely to be a happier hunting ground. We have been looking for a Thorny J Diff for some years without success and I am convinced now that if we are ever going to be successful, then it will be found "down under" somewhere.

Tony