comparisons on penetrating oils

Results of break out torque on rusted nuts.

penetrating oil average load

none 516 lbs

WD-40 238 lbs

PB Blaster 214 lbs

Liquid Wrench 127 lbs

Kano Kroil 106 lbs

ATF Acetone mix 53 lbs

ATF Acetone mix ia home brew of 50-50 Automatic transmission fluid and acetone.

These were tests done by Machinist's Workshop magazine

My home brew is burnt gear oil and disel. 75% Oil 25% disiel.

Tony,

The viscocity of your conconction would be higher than WD-40 and thus be slower at penetrating. Will stick to WD-40, especially as I have found it in 5 litre cans now. Going back to my apprentice days, we used Plus-Gas and that was excellent penetrant for siezed things, not seen it around for a while.

think these products are OK to a certain extent but there are products out there better than penetrating fluids that can take more than a week to soak in ,, a fiend of mine that has worked around the world in different restoration businesses showed me this type of product that freezes bolts nuts ,, I've used a type of this liquid "freezes to a lower temp" to free seized door hinges ,,,,,,,,

now if you use a freezing spray , then use a penetrating spray it should come free with ease ,,

I've also used it on seized engines after them not coming free after filling bores with petrol and setting on fire , but if after filling bores with petrol setting on fire the engine still does not move try spray the pistons with freeze spray while the cylinder liners still hot then it should come free ,, check the link below

Ambersil 6150003601 New! Rust Flash Rapid-Freeze Rust Release Spray 500ml

• Prices from: £2.29 each (when you buy 48)
  • Seized fasteners don't stand a chance with Ambersil Rust Flash.
  • An advanced formulation based on the laws of thermo-dynamics which rapidly freezes rust down to -40°C causing micro fissures to form in the rust layer. The micro-fissures ensure the active penetrating ingredients get to work deep into the thread, and allow the fastener to be removed up to 10 times faster than ordinary penetrating formulations.

a fiend of mine that has worked around the world in different restoration businesses showed me this type of product that freezes bolts nuts ,, I've used a type of this liquid "freezes to a lower temp" to free seized door hinges ,,,,,,,,

There is also Loctite Freeze & Release. Each situation can be different though, no standard sieze as sometimes it is not corrosion that is the problem.

Tony,

The viscocity of your conconction would be higher than WD-40 and thus be slower at penetrating. Will stick to WD-40, especially as I have found it in 5 litre cans now. Going back to my apprentice days, we used Plus-Gas and that was excellent penetrant for siezed things, not seen it around for a while.

If something is really sized, I soack a rag in th stuff then wrap round object and cover with a plastic bag and leave alone for a while. Nuts etc paint on and use cling film.

• 4 weeks later...
Oxy-acetylene rules.

Not always practical on a vehicle, with air and fluid pipes, cables, rubber bushes in the vicinity. People forget how long the flame is and are oblivious to what else is burning. Always safest to get someone else watching with an extinguisher at the ready. I use heat as last resort as from experience it can create more problems.

Knuckles, time, and temper must be cheap your way Tex.

Not to mention welding and cutting.

If you have not tried it do not knock it, I have and so have others and we agree with the findings of the compaireson of diferent products. Also some of the products like instant freezing are waqy to expensive when you do a job like restoring a FWD. Quit redeculing sugestions unless you can prove me wrong.

Tony,

http://www.lawson-his.co.uk/scripts/details.php?cat=Penetrating%20Oils&product=30700

There you go

Jamie