Scammell Cabs

daz76

I am assuming that Scammell in the 50's built their vehicles by hand and this would account for the huge difference in the cab I removed from my Explorer and it's replacement. The frame is an exact fit, but all the smaller items-pipework etc. are subtly different. Each must have been tailor made, as I have a cab frame and bulkhead from one Explorer and a windscreen frame from another and they are not matched at all. The windscreen frame is a good inch shorter than the gap it needs to fill on the replacement cab and we have made up a spacer in the frame to make it deep enough. Can anyone tell me more about the manufacturing as I would like to know if cabs were built by a certain person or team, therefore making them different to those built by other people. I can't find any info on how they were building lorries at the time. Thanks. Daz

There was a difference between early and late cabs. I have an EMER somewhere about replacing windscreens on early contracts.

Ah. That would make sense Croc. Ta for that. I imagine panel fit would have included some fair amount of play, although probably not as much as the mid 90's Range Rover I've been driving today....:nono: