Pioneer rear wheel oil seals.

ace1

Question

Has anyone found a more modern material for manufacturing the leather oil seals that keep the oil in the gear caseings? I managed to find some thick leather, trepanned the hole in the middle,with a mill, then used a hole punch for the bolt holes.

3 out of 4 succsess:), one still leaks:( even after makeing a new one.

P.S. Are they the same on the explorer?

Alan.

11 answers to this question

Hi Norman, thanks very much for that, i have only been on HMVF for a couple of weeks, and there is such alot of infomation on here that it will take a few more weeks to find all the "good" bits. (although its all good so far!!)

Alan.:thumbsup:

I'm currently rebuilding our Pioneer and this is certainly something I will eventually turn my attentions to, so if you come up with anything and you could let me know that would be great. In addition, I have had made new cork seals for the front hubs, see my thread 'Scammell Pioneer Restoration', the details of which I will gladly hand over, they cost about £65 for the pair.

Richard

The thing about leather washers is to treat them correctly before fitting. First you need vegtable, preferably oak bark, tan leather. Not cheap Indian Dog dirt tan (And I'm not kidding) Butt leather is the best, treat with Neats foot oil, Nikwak leather conditioner or at a push good quality vegtable oil before fitting.

Tony B

Hi tony at Scammells & Unipower we use to soak the Leather Seals in bucket of Neats foot oil for a week before we fitted them, and as you took 2 out. you replaced them at the bottom of the bucket to soak.

Clive

protruckservices.com

Always nice to see some pictures of these jobs if you've got any? Failing that a few shots of the Pioneer as a whole please.

Hi Norman, sorry i didnt get any pictures of this job, but there is some pictures of the pioneer in the pioneer thread.

I did get loads of pictures of the restoration as it was done, but they are all on paper, i am going to try and scan some in tomorrow and if they are any good will post some later.:coffee:

Alan.