non starting fv432

sharky

Question

This is a niggly one after running my fv432(mk 2/2 k60 multifuel) for 2 to 3 hrs it will not re start?

It does not turn over just clicks so i check and reset trip on dlb box it then trips again as i push starter switch. ok at this point i get annoyed walk away for an hour or two come back she starts no problem. Obviously this is a temperature related thing and was just wondering if anybody maybe ex R.E.M.E might be able to help me .

Any clues or solutions greatly appreciated

cheers and beers

Iain

2 answers to this question

This is a niggly one after running my fv432(mk 2/2 k60 multifuel) for 2 to 3 hrs it will not re start?

It does not turn over just clicks so i check and reset trip on dlb box it then trips again as i push starter switch. ok at this point i get annoyed walk away for an hour or two come back she starts no problem. Obviously this is a temperature related thing and was just wondering if anybody maybe ex R.E.M.E might be able to help me .

Any clues or solutions greatly appreciated

cheers and beers

Iain

Ian, After doing litterally hundereds of 'Pack Lifts' on 432's.

I can only tell you at this stage of your problem. It would appear to be a starter motor problem. The symptom you discribe is typical of a s/motor begining to break down. The temperetures in the engine bay when under normal running conditions are immense! I often wondered how these machines kept running, such is the heat that is generated. That is why they are fitted with a heat exchanger.

It would be a pack out job to change it anyway. So, if all cables & connections have been checked & found ok. It woule appear to be the s/motor. They are either go like you mention, or, the solinioid appears to stick. In either case, if you take the kindney plate out which is situated in the rear left (Looking forward) of the troop carying area. You should be able to reach the starter motor with a hammer & give it a clout! this works for the solinoid prob. BUT, does not always work with the symptom you discribe for a heat related area. If failing when hot, it is probably the inetrnal insulation/wiring that is failing. Or the wiring on it's solinoid. It is very difficult to tell otherwise pretty much anything without a pack lift.

When out, it is an ideal oppertunity to check evrything else also.

Tighten hose clamps, check electrical plugs & connections Etc.

I hope this helps, but most things engine related, = Pack out!

Good luck.

Mike....:coffee: