WW1 Douglas motorcycle photos

Rlangham

Here are two original photographs from my personal collection, each dating from the First World War

douglas1-1.jpg

This first one, from a photograph dated 28th February 1916, is a Douglas 2 3/4hp machine, 350cc. This was a very common Despatch Rider motorcycle and appears in a lot of photographs - during the First World War, Douglas, based in Kingswood, Bristol, produced over 70,000 motorcycles for the military. This shows the same type of Douglas that Ron, our group's Despatch Rider, is currently restoring.

douglas2-1.jpg

This nice photograph shows a Douglas 4hp 600cc motorcycle combination, fitted with a Douglas sidecar. The straight front forks (compare it with the angled ones on the 2 3/4hp) show that it is, at earliest, a 1916 built motorcycle.

Unusually (for this country), much of the old Douglas factory is still existant.

Douglas factory site replaced by homes ?

The old company sports ground has been built over in recent years but almost all of the original factory buildings are still there.

Also, it is still owned by the same line of companies.

Douglas evolved over the years (building and assembling Douglas Vespas in their later years), and eventually became part of Westinghouse Brake and Signals in the early eighties, who then became Westinghouse Brakes before being sold to Knorr-Bremse. KB still own and operate the site.

I've been round a couple of times and there are still many original features to be seen.

There has been talk for many years that the site will be sold for homes, but there is a campaign to save it.

The office block on Hanham Road is listed, but the rest of the site is not.

I have a 1918 Douglas 350cc 2 3/4 hp ex wd motorcycle. no kickstart no clutch brakes almost non existant but still a great ride, you can feel the quality of manufacture. Its very unusual but I know its history since demob in 1919.

Photo's please...:)