BEDFORD MWD Contract V3733

early british ww2

Does anyone have any production information on Early Bedford MWD's built under Army Contract number V3733 - I believe 3499 15cwt 4x2 were made under this contract number from 1939 to 1940 but could do with knowing what the starting chassis number of the contract is and the end contract number if anyone has any production information .

My Bedford MWD has the chassis number of MWD12170 and was built mid 1940 - I am trying to trace the correct census number for my truck and know it is in the range of Z4173216 TO Z4176715

CHEERS:coffee:

Hello glynn,

Where've you got that contract number from?

Thats the same as mine, or whats on the brass plate of mine. Mike got his history from the RLC, and he had a different contarct number to me, and his chassis number is not to far from yours. So if your contact number is correct we are a bit closer to finding out what chassis numbers were produced under contact number V3733. Thats presuming the chassis numbers were allocated to a batch, and there's a good chance they weren't.

As for tracing the history the RLC are your best bet failing that i'm not to sure.

Glynn, have you tried the Tank Museum ? They have a lot of ex-Chilwell duplicate contract cards, including softskins.

They don't have everything and the amount of information varies but is generally more complete for early war contracts. I have seen early cards with chassis number info on.

Rob van Meel's reprinted Chilwell list indicates that V.3733 commenced at MW1001-on but there only seem to have been 3500 census numbers issued.

Whether the census numbers / chassis numbers were 'married' is likely to be difficult to prove. My experience with the 1940 motorcycle contract that I've looked at in detail is that they tried but didn't always succeed.

The ideal would be to gain access to the Key Cards with the RLC because in addition to post-war registrations, they should show chassis number and the census number from which it was converted. Many of these numbers will be later-war rebuilt numbers in the Z1600000 - Z1699999 range but if the motorcycle practice is similar then about 15 % could have survived the war with original number and provide at least a basis for assessing any links.

Glynn, have you tried the Tank Museum ? They have a lot of ex-Chilwell duplicate contract cards, including softskins.

They don't have everything and the amount of information varies but is generally more complete for early war contracts. I have seen early cards with chassis number info on.

Rob van Meel's reprinted Chilwell list indicates that V.3733 commenced at MW1001-on but there only seem to have been 3500 census numbers issued.

Whether the census numbers / chassis numbers were 'married' is likely to be difficult to prove. My experience with the 1940 motorcycle contract that I've looked at in detail is that they tried but didn't always succeed.

The ideal would be to gain access to the Key Cards with the RLC because in addition to post-war registrations, they should show chassis number and the census number from which it was converted. Many of these numbers will be later-war rebuilt numbers in the Z1600000 - Z1699999 range but if the motorcycle practice is similar then about 15 % could have survived the war with original number and provide at least a basis for assessing any links.

Many Thanks - Haven't tried the Tank Museum yet but have done a lot of research over the years with various census numbers etc .

A lot of the chassis numbers seem to have married to the Census numbers in the main and most of my vehicle collection have there correct census numbers etc - The Bedford because of the larger numbers made is proving to be more of a challenge - My Guy Ants have been somewhat easier especially my wireless truck as one of the doors and bonnet panels still had the original numbers on them from many moons ago .

Both of my CS8 Morrises still need checking so will see what these turn up - My 1940 Morris is proving to be a bit of a nightmare as the contract number T8955 seperate listings for G.S. or Office , Compressor , wireless and as yet I cannot locate any corresponding chassis numbers for them :coffee:

cheers