Jeep Data Plate Info Wanted

Was that for a vehicle that was already registered and on the road, or for a non-roadworthy or unregistered vehicle'? I assume you now have a log book? I could understand you buying without a logbook for a vehicle that has never been registered, but the previous posts were relating to selling my jeep that is already registered and selling it on as an MB without a log book.

Steve

I have bought vehicles previously registered but without the log book, and also vehicles without a logbook, that have never been registered.

Reasonable proof of ownership was required to obtain log books. The receipt from an MoD disposal sale was adequate in one case, and a purchase receipt from the "owner" in the case of an other. Providing there is a chassis number for identification there really should not be a problem.

If its missing, then well maybe you got a problem. But then there's always e-bay!

I'm sure in your case that there is no malicious intent in passing off a vehicle for anything other than what it is, I regret however that not everybody in this following demonstrates such openness, and a few have been known to contrive misleading information.

We all know from the "movies" that a jeep is a jeep is a jeep. No matter what its year.

Dougiebarder, raised an interesting point which I believe is worthy of discussion, he may have been a little "strong" in his original post, but maybe just maybe, he's one of the unfortunates that's had reason for concern? No doubt he will tell us.?

I personally have no problems with Hotchkiss, nor in marking them up in WW2 disguise, at the end of the day it comes down to the integrety of the individual, especially important come disposal time.

Sadly so many vendors have poor memories and come that day, they often forget their good intentions! Caveat Emptor.

Thanks for that. So as long as you have reasonable proof of ownership, you should be ok. What about cases without chassis numbers? How easy is it to register a vehicle in those cases? and who decides what is an MB, GPW or 201 at registration time?

So what are your opinions on originality??????

There must be as many opinions as there are MV owners!

Steve

To reply to Karoshi's post, I'm very glad to say I havn't been ripped off in such a way.:D

I just find this process of making one vehicle look like another a bit silly. It seem's a bit too close to kids putting body kit's and go faster stripes on their Vauxhalls. In fact I wouldn't be suprised if there was a legal aspect to this. You definitly couldn't put a new set of data plates on a modern car, if they had different details from the origional on. ( Any idea's anybody?)

It's not like having the wrong tyres on a vehicle, they can be changed at any time and are what came with the vehicle.( I get the feeling that if a set came up for the right price, people would be tempted to swap?)

I think it's all very well saying I'll do the right thing when I sell it, but it's tough luck after that. I might be a bit blunt at times, but I hope I'd do the right thing in such an occasion, I wouldn't want to leave a cowboy dealer open to claim he didn't know any better.