Naval record/medal card decoding.

Rick W

Hi Rick,

this is probaly his service number preceded by the letter `R` have really no idea on the card unless the DNA 0 Issue Could mean that he was not entitled to medals so 0 were issued?

It was Naval custom for sailors when leaving the service were given thier records to keep i have not long accquired my Grandfathers along with his gunnery record.

They are available on line but they do charge and may not be complete as my G.fathers online had only 20 entries, the record sheet has 46 :shocked:

Ashley

Im not even sure this is the right J Whyte, but definitely awarded the 2 medals, this is a very early search though. What do the other initials mean on the card. Served on the Mooltan, have the Mercantile Marine and War medal, but do any of them have a mention on this card???

Too small for my knackered eyesight...sorry. If this is WW2 then three of them may well be the Atlantic Star, the Victory medal and the 1939-45 Star.

My father in law, who was MN had 39-45 Star, Victory Medal, Atlantic Star, Africa Star and one other I cannot remember, it might be Italy or France and Germany. Will check.

I need bigger specs...

so three are pip squeak and wilfred. the 1914-15 star, the victory medal and the war medal. I have no clue on campaign medals. My grandfather was an ERA for grey funnel in the 1st war and all he got were the three standard medals.

MB

If he was awarded two medals they could of been the Victory and the War medal (Mutt and Jeff !) But i believe that if he has the Mercantile Marine and the war medal this is an acceptable combination.

There are quite strict rules and regulations on medal awarding and the acceptable combinations a borrow of the medal year book or there was on old book-:Medals of the First World Was by a Alex purves (sp.) which you can still find in some second hand book shops for a few pence

As the war did not officially finish until 1921 may be the list precedes this date be for all medals were issued ? especially with the M Marine.

Ashley