Helmets, Ferrets and the UN

john fox

Please can someone tell me what is the helmet which you see in UN blue hung off the turrets of Ferrets when in service in UN use eg Cyprus.

As shown in Lees HMVF TV clips at 3 min 41 sec in :

http://www.hmvftv.com/view_video.php?viewkey=b0833588399b1fcd177c&page=1&viewtype=&category=mr

Is it British?

Does not look like the 1970's turtle shell infantry helmet so what is it ... please :dunno:

I want a pair to complete the hanging off bits on my UN Ferret :-)

BTW can someone with better eyesight than me make out the reg nos of those 2 Ferrets - is one of them mine (UNF554)??????????

BTW can someone with better eyesight than me make out the reg nos of those 2 Ferrets - is one of them mine (UNF554)??????????

John,

I've had a look at the originals but they are very low res & the numbers can't be read... I've looked through all the one's I've got & can't find yours...

The helmets are the pre 1980 steel AFV crewman helmet, these are very similar to the WW2 para helmet (no rim) without the harnees, they only have a 1" elastic chinstrap, I've got one in green from the old days in my shed. "For sale" :whistle:

Baz.

John,

I've had a look at the originals but they are very low res & the numbers can't be read... I've looked through all the one's I've got & can't find yours...

Anybody tell me when UNFICYP Ferrets changed from standard Army plates (01 EC 28 in 1976) to UNF 554?

Alien,

I don't know the date when they changed, but it was when the Danes took over the role of Force Reserve Sqn and they took over the Vehs as well as the roll. The UN took over the vehs and gave them UN regs.

Baz.

Alien,

I don't know the date when they changed, but it was when the Danes took over the role of Force Reserve Sqn and they took over the Vehs as well as the roll. The UN took over the vehs and gave them UN regs.

Baz.

You're telling Force Reserve is no longer an RAC posting??? According to a thread I read yesterday (see picture of Saracen on plinth outside the main gates), there is no longer an RAC presence in the SBA either. But I thought there was still an RAC presence in Cyprus ... where?