Reversal of divided rim wheels on British 6x4's

Pete Ashby

Question

I’ve noticed for some time that pre-war photos show the wheels mounted on the rear bogie have the spring locking ring facing out away from the vehicle both photos credited to IWM collection.

see photo below of a pre-war Leyland Retriever workshop body variant possibly taken 1938

1.thumb.JPG.54dcdbe735230714e3286440a2b12cf6.JPG

However almost without exception photos of trucks from 1940 on wards ( factory or in service) show the rims reversed on the rear bogie so that the locking ring now faces into the middle of the vehicle the wheel stud holes on the rim are countersunk on both sides to enable fitting in either position. 

see photo below

2.JPG.42929be40c7cebce85bd3329de7783f4.JPG 

I initially thought it was something to do with moving the track of the rear wheels so that they do not follow the front pair however having fitted the rear wheels to my Retriever following the war time in service model I can't see it wouldn't make much if any difference.

Any one have suggestions or definitive answers ? 

thanks

Pete

Edited by Pete Ashby

3 answers to this question

Hi Peter

Perhaps to widen the stance of the vehicle,  to improve cross slope performance.  It would take some measurements and calculations to see if there would have be a meaningful change to resisting side roll over.

Or might it have been the result of changing tire profile for better traction? 

Cheers Phil 

On 5/12/2020 at 8:32 AM, simon king said:

Is it to give more clearance for fitting traction chains around the pair of wheels perhaps?

On 5/12/2020 at 12:49 PM, CMP-Phil said:

Hi Peter

Perhaps to widen the stance of the vehicle,  to improve cross slope performance.  It would take some measurements and calculations to see if there would have be a meaningful change to resisting side roll over.

Or might it have been the result of changing tire profile for better traction? 

Cheers Phil 

Both valid suggestions Chaps,  I really don't have the answer so lets see if anybody else chips in.

It must be something more than just the whim of a transport Officer as it would have required some form of universal order to have been issued to change the fitting of some many truck wheels so this would suggest there was a specific reason that caused this to happen.

Pete