CVR(T) Sabre Tuuret removal / weight

robin craig

Question

Can anyone give me a roughly accurate weight of the turret?

I realise we do not have the main armament in ours so it will be lighter but we are planning on removing the turret and I would like to have heavy enough lifting tackle/

Is there a cheat method of taking it off that makes it easier? What about the commutator ring at the bottom, any advice?

If there is a specific manual that covers this a manual number would be good to go buy one.

thanks in advance

4 answers to this question

I don't have good answers for you but I'll share what I do know in case it helps:

It's heavier than one might expect, Most of two tonne I'd say.

I used a pallet rack and a set of four large ratchet straps to lift it off and suspend it in the shop. I expect to lift the vehicle up under the turret to reinstall.

Of course I separated the basket and such so I only had to lift several inches.

My commutator assembly was pretty frozen up so I just yanked the whole mess off the floor pan.

Can anyone give me a roughly accurate weight of the turret?

I realise we do not have the main armament in ours so it will be lighter but we are planning on removing the turret and I would like to have heavy enough lifting tackle/

Is there a cheat method of taking it off that makes it easier? What about the commutator ring at the bottom, any advice?

If there is a specific manual that covers this a manual number would be good to go buy one.

thanks in advance

Dear Pavel,

Thank you for the answers, great ones, don't put yourself down, I like your methodology as I know you work on your own.

Did you separate the ring from the hull and lift that with the turret or did you split it above that?

Do you think damage can occur if you leave the backet in place and just lift the turret?

2 tons is kind of where I was heading

I took the turret off the ring and pulled the ring after, I don't know that you can really do it any other way.

The ring is pretty easy to manage for one guy with a little leverage and care or an easy lift for two.

My basket was already pretty well disconnected from the turret so it was a simple matter to finish up so I could lift the turret.

I don't know how I could have pulled the basket with the turret, the bearings and brackets were a mix of rotted and seized.

I also removed the rest of the basket in sections, no lifting tackle needed and the commutator assembly was one of the last bits to come out.

I would suggest removing the elevation gearbox early as it hangs down a fair bit. I just removed the bottom of it and that worked OK.

Dear Pavel,

Thank you for the answers, great ones, don't put yourself down, I like your methodology as I know you work on your own.

Did you separate the ring from the hull and lift that with the turret or did you split it above that?

Do you think damage can occur if you leave the backet in place and just lift the turret?

2 tons is kind of where I was heading

Robin,

When I am am back home I'll look up the Sabre turret weight but I am sure it is a lot less than a Scorpion, maybe 1000kg. Being a Sabre you might be able to remove it with the ring and adaptor, but it's probably easier just to undo the ring of bolts inside the turret. Leave the basket in place, just undo the Y bracket at the back.

Chris