Radiator drain cock

thedawnpatrol

[ATTACH=CONFIG]116890[/ATTACH]

Hi Jules,

You normally lap a taper cock in with a very fine abrasive paste. I find valve grinding paste too harsh and use a paste which was for lapping in injector nozzles. Looking at the second photo here, is the centre of the cock flush or slightly proud of the tap body? If it is, then it has been ground in too far and spring pressure is having little effect. Maybe it is the photo but that is what it looks like.

Richard

Thanks for your reply Richard

In answer to you question, no, it's the oppersite, the cock is slightly recessed in the body, which would suggest I could lap it in more then ?

Thing is, it's not dripping from the outlet, but from where the spindle projects wing the washer and Spring. Perhaps if I get the leaping tight the water won't get to the spindle?

I will try that anyway,

Thanks

Jules

As Richard has said lapping will do the trick provided there is not excessive ware or damage of the spindle or bore I've never done a drain cock but have had some success on fuel taps using jewelers rouge which I guess will be very close to Richards suggestion for injector lapping paste.

If all else fails you might find something suitable here https://www.vintagecarparts.co.uk/categories/vintage-car-parts-taps-pipe-and-fittings-taps-drain

Pete

As Richard has said lapping will do the trick provided there is not excessive ware or damage of the spindle or bore I've never done a drain cock but have had some success on fuel taps using jewelers rouge which I guess will be very close to Richards suggestion for injector lapping paste.

If all else fails you might find something suitable here https://www.vintagecarparts.co.uk/categories/vintage-car-parts-taps-pipe-and-fittings-taps-drain

Pete

One thing I forgot to add.......when lapping make sure you use plenty of light oil for lubrication...... I didn't on one occasion and had to junk the whole tap assembly the very fine paste dried and welded the whole assembly up solid :-(

Pete