RAF UIN - Unit Idenification Numbers

DWS

Question

Can anyone help please. I have a few RAF MT Vehicle Records Cards which have a sectionon them titled 'Holding Unit', in this section there are entries such as F5039A and F4617A. I have discovered that these are in fact Unit Identification Numbers and they relate to different RAF Stations. For example F4167A is RAF Odiham.

Does anyone know if there is a list of these UIN's anywhere so that I can decipher the information on the cards? The period I am interested in is the 1960s & 1970s.

Dave

20 answers to this question

Not even the Air Historical Branch claim to have a proper listing of the UINs.

Generally they should correspond to the last unit on the list of movements.

Ah right, thanks for that, just checked a couple that I know the UINs for, and they do correspond.

Thanks

Dave

Strictly, UIN are Unit Imprest Numbers, identifying the public purse imprest account run by that unit's pay services.

Said a former member of army pay services.

;)

Thanks for that, I am trying to understand why a UIN (Unit Imprest Number) would have been used on an RAF MT Vehicle Record Card to record which Unit or Station was the 'Holding Unit' for such a vehicle? Struggling to see the connection between an MT vehicle's location and a public purse imprest account.

Dave Firstly, whilst it may be imprest in the Army it was always Identity in the RAF. Each Station, unit or sub unit would have an identifying code; An example could be Leuchers would have a UIN but 26 Sqn RAF regt which was base ON Leuchars would have a code of its own. It was merely an accounting device and I can understand why ALienFM tells us it was Impress in the Army. I will dig in my boxes of rubbish and see if I can locate a list of sorts. I did try and assemble one when I was collating fleet data .

TED

copied a previous post by AlienFM

icon1.png Re: Vehicle History...

UIN is another abbreviation that's good for an argument.

RAPC invented the UIN decades ago to index Unit Imprest Account numbers. It was the Imprest Account that handled things like cash payments to soldiers, petrol coupons (in BAOR) and MOD money transacted by the unit, unlike for example the Commanding Officer's Public Fund which gave him discretion to buy "stuff" and the various Mess funds.

When the rest of the Army went digital and discovered they need such an index, they hijacked UIN and called it Unit Identity Number.

Shockingly, Googling for "Unit Identity Number" returns a couple of hundred hits, whereas "Unit Imprest Number" returns not a single hit.

Edited by ted angus

UIN of various kinds & purposes are covered in JSP 329 Chapter 7

Defence Unit Identity Number - Policy and Management

Introduction

1. This Policy defines how Unit Identity Numbers (UINs) are to be created, controlled and managed; it replaces all previous policy documents and instructions. The aim of this revised policy is to provide clearer direction and governance so as to bring greater coherence to the application and approvals processes for all UINs.

Background

2. The UIN was introduced in 1971 to enable Defence IT systems to use a common ‘data item’ to identify units, sub-units, organisations or groupings of organisations within the MOD. (NB: Throughout the remainder of this document, the term ‘unit’ is used to describe the entity linked to a UIN.) Over the years, the uses to which UINs are put have grown to cover a wide range of tasks for which they were neither originally designed nor intended. These tasks can now be broadly categorised as:

a. Asset Management

b. Liability Management

c. Financial Management

d. Liability Planning

e. Location Information

However, as requirements expanded, non-standard ways of working have developed such that different types of UIN evolved. In this Policy, these are referred to as standard and non standard UINs. Further information on both types of UIN is provided below.

3. This Policy now enforces a single gate application route for all types of UIN. To achieve this, it has been necessary to redesign the UIN application form (MOD F942 accessible here ) which now includes additional guidance on the correct routing for each application. All previous versions of this form have therefore been superseded and are no longer to be used.

Governance

4. The Chief Information Officer (CIO) is the Authority for UINs and has responsibility for formulating policy. Responsibility for the day-to-day husbandry of all standard UINs is delegated to Army Information Services (AIS) Branch, CBM Division, HQ Land Forces. Responsibility for final authorisation of all non standard UINs (CA, CB etc) is delegated to Defence Equipment and Supply Chain Management (DE&S SCM). Responsibility for the day-to day husbandry of non standard UINs is delegated to Defence Equipment and Support, Joint Support Chain Services (DE&S JSC Services).

5. There are two main functions that both types of UIN perform; these are to identify the unit and to link the unit to a location. It therefore follows that any change to either the unit, the unit name or location (including postcode) must be reported and acted upon at the earliest opportunity.

Format.

A standard UIN consists of 3 elements comprising 6 characters, the first and last being alphabetic with 4 numeric characters between as shown below:

A1234A

The first character represents the Front Line Command (FLC) or Department to which the UIN belongs while the last character is used to indicate if the UIN represents a unit or a sub-unit thereof. The letter A when appearing as the last character always indicates that the UIN represents a unit while any other letter indicates a sub-unit. There is no order of precedence conveyed by the letter that appears and no limit, other than the available characters, to the number of sub-units that may be represented.

However, it should be noted that although Special Forces units and any UINs associated with them must be authorised by Central TLB, the first character in their UINs will reflect their main Front Line Command.

Unit Identifier.

The main body of the UIN consists of 4 numeric characters which, together with the preceding and following alphabetic characters, will be unique within each FLC or Department.

End Dating.

Standard UINs are never completely deleted since they may be required for audit or historical purposes. However, when they are no longer required by the unit (such as when the unit closes or disbands) a MOD F942 is to be submitted to record this fact. This will result in the UIN being given an End Date after which it may no longer be used for financial or supply transactions. However, it should be noted that a UIN cannot be End Dated if there are sub-units that remain extant. Advising of UIN End Dating is a unit responsibility. However, in cases where the unit has already disbanded, responsibility will default to the appropriate TLB Budget Manager (TLB BM).

Non Standard UINs

Custodial Account Unit Identification Number (CA UINs).

UINs with the prefix “CA” are associated with the Army’s Base Inventory System (BIS), often referred to as Stores System 3 (SS3). The CA UINs are used by Army stockholding units and contractors to account for Defence materiel and enable demands to be placed for materiel supplied through this system. Other Non Standard UINs generally only allow material to be supplied against special authorisation.

To manage stock on behalf of the Joint Support Chain (JCS).

Joint Support Chain Services (JSC Services) Royal Engineers (RE) and Royal Logistic Corps (RLC) contractors when authorised.

Non standard UINs are entered on the Demand Referrals Errors and Address Management System (DREAMS) which is maintained by JSC Services.

The initial approval route for non standard UINs will be the same as that of standard UINs. Therefore, all requests for creation/amendment/End Dating of non standard UINs are to be made on F942. The guidance on the form will direct applicants to the correct authority for approving the application.

When all available numbers have been issued, this series can be expanded to include the additional prefixes of “CD” “CE” etc.

Maintenance of the Non Standard UIN Database. JSCS Unit Locations is responsible for the allocation, amendment and End Dating of all CA UINs once the correct authorisation has been given.

Operational UINs

Land Forces Units are not to deploy on Operations with their own peacetime UIN unless instructed to do so by CSS Ops/Cts, HQ Land Forces. Operational UINs will be requested through SO2 Log Ops/PEPs, by submitting a F942 prior to the commencement of the operation or deployment. Should they be required, Sub Unit UINs can be created using the same procedure. Units deploying on operations that are not allocated a specific UIN, will use the existing Operational UIN. An Operational Unit Title will be allocated to all operational UINs and this name will generally remain for the duration of the Operation. On roulement Units will take over this title in Theatre.

Amendment to UIN Details

If a unit with a UIN changes its title, location or any other information previously provided, the details of those changes must be submitted on a new MOD F942 via the routing outlined on the form. This also applies to operational UINs. However changes to an operational unit title or listed address/location must be authorised by SO2 Log Ops/PEPs. Operational units are not to change titles without this authority.

Financial Aspects

A high proportion of standard UINs are also used to apportion financial costs between the correct budgets. These UINs are provided by SIMS (as the single source of standard UINs) and managed within the Departmental Chart of Accounts (COA), which defines the budgetary hierarchy. This is recorded on the Standing Data System (SDS) maintained by Director Financial Management (DFM) and regular feeds of COA/SDS data are provided to many systems for validation. It is therefore important that whenever any UIN (even non-standard) is created or amended proper consideration is given to a valid Budgetary Structure to enable accurate cost capture.

I hope that is now all perfectly clear :-D

Hi,

Been away for a while however, I now have a personal interest in identifying the following RAF UINs:

F7706A and F8098A

These UINs appear on the MT Vehicle Record Card of an RAF BSA B40GR motorcycle I am in the process of purchasing, they may well be Stations or Units in RAF Germany. Can anyone help please?

Cheers, Dave.

Wow, that was quick Clive, thank you. That ties in with the information on the Record Card.

Despatched from the Factory - 24 June 1970

At CVD Ashchurch - 24 June 1970

First Issued to RAF - 16 December 1970

On Charge to RAFG - 31 December 1970 (at 431 MU, Bruggen)

On Charge to RAF Gutersloh - 16 June 1977

Struck Off Charge at RAF Gutersloh - 11 September 1980

So, according to the MT Vehicle Record Card it seems it was held in stock at 431 MU from 1970 until 1977, when it was sent to RAF Gutersloh.

Anyone know where it might have been in the UK between 16 Dec 1970 (issued to RAF) and 31 Dec 1970 (On Charge to RAFG) Stafford maybe?

I have no idea where/when it was sold off yet, that still needs looking into.

Thanks again.

Dave

Edited by DWS

Dave , it would take that long to get from Ashchurch to 431 MU. I would guess into a container then from Marchwood to Antwerp docks, then either directly to 431 or via Monchengladbach or another freight hub. and in between was Christmas bank holidays !!

TED

Hi Ted

Yes it's just dawned on me that this was over Christmas!

Another thought, if this motorcycle was struck off charge at Gutersloh in the early 1980s, would it have been sold off at auction in Germany, at Monchengladbach maybe, or brought back to the UK to be sold off at somewhere like Ruddington?

RAF number is 37 AX 99 by the way, should anyone have any records ;)

Can anyone tell me which Army Unit the following UIN is for please? A1040N

I found it on a Receipt Voucher amongst the paperwork for my RAF BSA B40GR, it may indicate the final disposal unit for the bike.

Thanks, Dave.

Edit: I have just discovered, from another source, that this UIN is for CVD Ruddington!

Edited by DWS

Hi, Please can someone tell me what the UIN was for the sadly long gone RAF Cottesmore, time frame late 80's (ie, when I was there!!) in the days of the TTTE (Thomas the thank engine or Tri-national tornado establishment as the mood grabbed you)

Thanks in advance

Guy

Edited by snowdrop358

Hi, Please can someone tell me what the UIN was for the sadly long gone RAF Cottesmore, time frame late 80's (ie, when I was there!!) in the days of the TTTE (Thomas the thank engine or Tri-national tornado establishment as the mood grabbed you)

Thanks in advance

Guy

I have the UIN for RAF Cottesmore as F5530A, hope this helps.

Dave