Pye Vanguard Radiotelephone

For a vehicle at the Museum of RAF Fire Fighting at Scampton, I'm hoping I may be able to track down a Pye Vanguard Radio. They were extensively used in the RAF from about the late 60's through to the 70's until replaced by the Storno sets. The only difference between the ones in service and the pic here, was we had a telephone style handset with a transmit button on the back as opposed to the mic pictured here.

If anyone has any idea where I might lay my hands o one I would be very pleased to hear. Cheers Dave am25t-leaflet1-640p.jpg

am25b-0011-800p.jpg

Dave

A visit to a local amateur radio rally may find one (although most people would probably leave them in the garage and take something more profitable to the Bring & Buy) or a letter to the secretary of your local amateur radio club asking for a wanted ad in their newsletter may be more productive.

Regards

Iain

Thanks Iain and Clive for both your replies, it gives me at least a bit of hope that something may turn up if I keep looking about! Cheers Dave

To help you on your way, I have a couple of the single channel units (that I bought to strip for parts), as yet untouched from how I got them. They will probably need some restoration as the finish is badly worn. All valves present except the buffer stage (QV03-10, I think) and I have some of those somewhere.

The bad news: it's set only, no ancillaries.:-(

The worse news: they were part of a large clearout last year (originating, I think, from Coventry Airport decades ago), so you've missed all the control boxes and cables - which went for scrap.:-(>:(

I'll see about some photographs at the weekend.

• 3 weeks later...

Chris/Dave

If of any help I can transport the parts, Chris will you be going to the Dambuster's at Thorpe camp? or can you pass them on to somebody that is? or if you are going to the War & Peace show you could pass them over to Steve / John at the fire section to take home to RAF Scampton.

Gerald member of Thorpe camp radio group & Radio instructor 17 (Coningsby) Sqn ATC

Chris/Dave

If of any help I can transport the parts, Chris will you be going to the Dambuster's at Thorpe camp? or can you pass them on to somebody that is? or if you are going to the War & Peace show you could pass them over to Steve / John at the fire section to take home to RAF Scampton.

Gerald member of Thorpe camp radio group & Radio instructor 17 (Coningsby) Sqn ATC

Chris and Gerald...Chris, I'm so sorry for not replying to your post, for some reason I missed it and only just noticed it when Gerald messaged me about transport. I'm very pleased to be able to tell you that I received a Pye Cambridge just today. It came from an RAF vet after I put a post on the facebook page RAF Mates Where are they now! It's a complete set and in pretty good nick. Apparently it was last used in a taxi!

Thanks again to both of you, Dave

• 9 years later...