1946 Royal Enfield 125RE / Flying Flea

Ruffgeezer

Hope it's ok for me to put up a build thread for my RE here, she's based on the WW2 Flying Flea, but as far as I can tell she's a civvy version...

Ok well this little lady has been hiding for a long time now, and recently with the completion of my own workshop, I decided to take on a small(!) project to fill it with, and with that in mind, Re was subsequently exhumed:

She's in here somewhere:

IMAG1642.jpg

Ah, there she is!

IMAG1643.jpg

The first sight of her in full for probably 30 years:

IMAG1646.jpg

So yeah, that's her, in need of a lot of care and attention, I'd be happy to hear of any other Flea/125RE owners out there as I'm sure I'll need their advice along the way!

IMAG1650.jpg

I have since started stripping the front end down, and I'm compiling a required parts list, the top of which is a front wheel of course!

IMAG1651.jpg

IMAG1644.jpg

IMAG1647.jpg

IMAG1648.jpg

IMAG1649.jpg

Can't see the saddle nose bracket (on the frame) but if vertical (not "banana" shaped) this is an ex-WD Flea..........

I note that it is still fitted with folding footrests and the Miller 7" lamp, all WD fittings, although in fairness some early civvy manufacture did still feature these to use up stock.........

Any idea on the frame number ? (stamped on the headstock).........

Yes the post war Flea was upgraded from the wartime 4" front drum to a 5" drum. But still used the same WM0 rim. As Steve says you might have a Genuine WD Flea that has been upgraded for civy use and registered after demob in 1946. I was also looking for the front saddle mount, which should be this shape. It was extended from the pre war position to enable the tool box to fit under the saddle as the carb 'mace air filter' fitted to the WD bikes took up more space. Ron

lightweights 024.jpg

The frame number looks to be 11561, and the seat mount is shorter than the one pictured above.

Today I've continued the strip down, and have found I'll need some replacement arms for the front end, there is some ovalling of the inner mounts unfortunately.

Your frame number looks to be from the last 1000 that were cancelled by the War Office in 1945. It should therefore have that same saddle lug. Unless it was modified back to civy spec? Ron

Here is the seat mount now I've removed whatever it was that was covering the seat!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]80048[/ATTACH]

And a just about legible frame number:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]80049[/ATTACH]

That little leather strap with buckle just visible above the toolbox is a nice original part.......listed in the parts book to secure the wiring and cables.......worth preserving if you can.......I think the early civvy production, even if cancelled WD stock, did revert to the civvy frame even though some other parts remained "WD" (such as the foot-rests, headlight, kickstarter, etc)......other immediate changes included the carburetter reverting to the civvy pattern rather than the larger WD Villiers type........note that the WD carb assemblies are interchangeable between the James ML and Flea, BUT they do have a different needle between the models though.....

There are a couple of those straps still on the frame, today I've been working through the complete bodge up on the wiring side of things, I think I will end up making a complete new loom for the bike, as this one is a total disaster!

Yes, mine has the disadvantage of having several extra wires thrown in for good measure, I have the workshop manual so I'll rewire it all with modern cabling, but perhaps try and track down some original looking sleeving.

No sleeving necessary....loose cables only ! Seller on Ebay has a good repro of the original rubber-covered wiring cable........worth investing in.......:-D

• 3 months later...

Well sad to say there is little progress on this one, the engine appears to be scrap on several counts.

The piston was seized at tdc, and has gotten tighter despite soaking in diesel for weeks,the barrel is broken around one of the studs, the kick start is missing and the teeth are worn, neither chain looks much cop, oh yes and the clutch appears to be borked.

Whilst I still want to being her back from the brink, I fear the limiting factor will be having the funds to do so.