Webley Mk "VI" serial numbers

Graham

Does anyone amongst this knowledgeable forum have any weapon, like my Webley MARK "VI" 1918, have a badly punched serial number. I assume the workers were under pressure to produce these weapons quickly and we all make mistakes but is it something you have seen before. In my case it looks like an attempt to correct a '2' which had been punched upside down. Any thoughts?

First question, are you sure it is a Webley and not an Enfeild? The two are so close that Webley sued Enfeild for patent infraction. There were a number of chnges to the Webley throughout production. With many earleir types upgraded to newer standards. So your Webley Mark 6 should have A) A six inch barrel, B) Removable foresight C ) A squarer cut grip. Internal there were redesigns of the lock for manufactuering speed. So lock parts are unique to this mark. Although described as .455 the actual bore is .441. The Mark 6 becane a sealed pattern on 24th May 1915. They were replaced in Army service in around 1929/30 by the Enfeild models in .38, which were again blatant copies of a Webley design.

First question, are you sure it is a Webley and not an Enfeild? The two are so close that Webley sued Enfeild for patent infraction. There were a number of chnges to the Webley throughout production. With many earleir types upgraded to newer standards. So your Webley Mark 6 should have A) A six inch barrel, B) Removable foresight C ) A squarer cut grip. Internal there were redesigns of the lock for manufactuering speed. So lock parts are unique to this mark. Although described as .455 the actual bore is .441. The Mark 6 becane a sealed pattern on 24th May 1915. They were replaced in Army service in around 1929/30 by the Enfeild models in .38, which were again blatant copies of a Webley design.

If its got a 1918 date it has to be a Webley as Enfield only made the MkVI from 1921 to 1926.

Thank you, yes it is a Mark V1 with all the features you describe. Now as to the serial number.....................?

If its got a 1918 date it has to be a Webley as Enfield only made the MkVI from 1921 to 1926.

Thanks Chris, the number sounds like a bad strike. Any chance you can post a picture of it? I have seen rather badly struck numbers occasionally. Unless the serial was put over some other component mark.

Edited by Tony B

I can't comment on Webley serial numbers but I do have a few odd Brens. I have a Lithgow Bren that the 6 in the serial number has been remarked with a 9 above the 6. These were marked with a pantograph so mistakes really should have been spotted but they must have happened. I also have another Lithgow Bren where the serial numbers all match where one is prefixed with a B whereas the other numbers are prefixed with a A, this mistake was never corrected.

Thanks Chris, the number sounds like a bad strike. Any chance you can post a picture of it? I have seen rather badly struck numbers occasionally. Unless the serial was put over some other component mark.

Photo attached - it should be a '2' which in this photo it seems to be if a bit mangled. Hope this helps.

2012-10-24 11.06.00.jpg