Wartime James ML

The Bedford Boys

Hi there, can anyone provide dimensions for a seat and exhaust system for a wartime James ML? My 'bike is missing these along with a few other parts.

Cheers,

Alex

Alex, contact "Metal Magic" in Eversley, Hants for a repro exhaust system...not cheap but it will fit ! They can offer many other repro parts for the ML....speak to Drew or Terry.......

Saddle is the same as a Flying Flea (also used post-war).......cover made by "Mansfield".......you need to find a "Bantam" size repro seat........

• 2 years later...
Hello,

Can anybody give me the colour code for a James ML used in Holland in 1944?

Thank you in advance!

Most ML's seen in wartime photos were from the first contract for around 3,500 bikes.........production commenced during March 1943 at 300 per month and by June this was up to 500 per month, the contract finishing around October '43.......delivery to the Army started around April/June '43 to Ordnance depots with distribution to units thereafter as deliveries arrived and were processed..........

So......for D-Day onward most bikes would have been from the first contract........and as 1943 manufacture the standard factory colour at that time was "SCC. No.2 (brown)"...............from original new-old-stock parts I have, this was a khaki-brown not dissimilar to the colour of British serge battledress uniform...........

Although olive drab was a new colour introduced for vehicles from April 1944 onward, this generally only applied to new factory stock, and only after stocks of the earlier brown paint were used up.............so, I'd go for brown to be 75% accurate for Holland in '44........:o)

Mine is painted OD (British code BS 298) The paint colour was to bring us in line with our allies for the invasion.

I found an original NOS headlamp and it is the same colour as mine so I left it as is. But of course I don't know the date of the lamp, despite the markings? Ron

ML 038.jpg

ML 023.jpg