Norton 16 H and Side Car ?

thedawnpatrol

I do not know the official answer, but I do know you can ride a sidecar outfit on a motorcycle licence. Re three wheeler - the MoT may cause problems with some MoT centres - you need a MoT centre that does outfits/combinations/motorcycle & sidecar, applying for a three wheeler MoT is a whole different matter.

Also have you built the outfit - restored one or bought a working example - I would be interested in knowing more about it.

Attached is my replica I scratch built.

Graham

Re sidecar project 003.jpg

Thats nice Graham, No i do not have the side car, i'm just investigating building one to go on my 16h, but I want to copy an RAF one ? would that be the same as yours ?

ALSO

Does anyone know where I can get a manual for the Norton 16H ? Repro ?

Cheers

Jules

Thats nice Graham, No i do not have the side car, i'm just investigating building one to go on my 16h, but I want to copy an RAF one ? would that be the same as yours ?

ALSO

Does anyone know where I can get a manual for the Norton 16H ? Repro ?

Cheers

Jules

look on ebay got mine off there repro

Rob van Meel is the chap to talk with about reprint literature for WD motorcycles.

http://www.robvanmeel.nl/?q=catalog/431

The sidecar used by the RAF was the Norton model G which comprised a body thought to be made by Swallow on Norton's own distinctive chassis. If you're serious about the project, I'd suggest posting for the attention of Ron Pier on the WD16H or BSA WM20 forum as he has put one together.

I'm pretty sure that you can't drive a combination on a car licence. They used to be popular as a way of avoiding the 250cc restriction when riding on 'L' plates but I believe that concession has now fallen by the wayside with the standardised European rules.