Camping at Beltring 2010

torc

This year is my first time going to the W&P show and I have a few questions before it, any help would be appreciated.

We plan to do some walking early in the week and visit some of the surrounding towns, what is the security at W&P like, will our tents be safe?

Last year I managed to destroy several tent pegs in the flinty Detling ground, what is the situation in Beltring like, will I need spares?

My pal noted that the River Medway is close to the site, can he fish the river and does he need permits etc? Also is the river OK to swim in?

I will post these questions on a couple of other sites.

Any answers would be a help, thanks in advance.

No security, a couple of years ago a group had there tents nicked, I believe to fish in anywhere you need a licence & would need a permit if they do allow fishing in the medway.

No problems getting pegs in.

W&P is a very big show. I would say your tents would more than likely be safe left unattended, but I would remove anything of value if you are going to leave them alone. Make friends with a few neighbours and ask them to keep an eye on your tent when they are there.

The River Medway does indeed pass through the Hop Farms land. You will probably need to call the Hop Farm and ask for permission to fish, of course you will need a rod licence. Go onto the Hop Farms website for contact details.

As far as swimming the River, well that's down to you. There have been drownings in the River at this event and like any body of water where you don't know the depth, what's in there and temperature and current fluctuations, I would stay well away.

Sorry a bit O/T but if one ever came up for sale and I had the cash, a PBR mkII would look stunning moored under or near the metal bridge there. Theres loads of undergrowth to recreate an Apocolypse Now scene. (I've even gone so far as to check navagability up to that point :D)