19 set - carrier no 3 - ZA27669 - webbing

In the absence of any suggestions and following a lengthy but ultimately unsucessful internet search I decided to see what I could do with the existing straps. After completely dissembling the tray into its component parts, I dunked the webbing in hot water which softened the solidified and cracking rubber solution glue between the two layers to the extent that the two thin strips could be pulled apart.

Threw some crystal white powder into some hot water and allowed the webbing to soak and then scrubbed clean, removing dirt, layers of blanco and, eventually, all the rubber solution glue from the webbing.

Just now got to match up the eight pieces of the handles into four matched pairs (lesson there somewhere) before resticking together with copydex or something similar. Then its a case of using some liquid blanco to cover the rust and dirt staining.

Much cheaper that the £150 being asked for just the long strap on ebay.

Edit

Having matched the pairs of webbing, I glued the two halves together with good old Copydex, ensuring a good, flat bond by rolling with a small paint roller. I refinished with liquid blanco and reattached all the prepainted metal work with pop rivets.

Seems to to have done the trick

Edited by simon king

• 2 weeks later...

Good work Simon, would be nice to see pictures.

I made a radio harness from scratch using a roll of canvas bought on ebay, I used old bags and bits of strapping for the brass buckles and very pleased with the results.

That's easily done - just got to find a decent control box, decent variometer and its mount, B set aerial mount and original unmodified WS19 now.......

.IMG_2834.jpg

Then the operators desk, chairs, battery boxes and frames etc etc etc

Edited by simon king