Um... any ideas? In Poland

GeePig

I came across this here in Poland about a decade ago, but cannot remember where. I am not sure whether it is military or not, or why someone chose this to display. It looks to me like the front pair of wheels for a wagon, but it does not look like the usual farm wagon one finds around. Any ideas?

DSC02151.JPG

trevor

looks very military indeed, some kind of horse-drawn towed artillery trailer from WW1, German I think. Just the axles alone are something you would never see on a piece of farm machinery made by the local Blacksmith, never mind all the extra steel banding on the frame.

A total non-expert view here, and I apologise for any incorrect terminology -

I think that it is the fore-carriage of a four-wheeled vehicle, and therefore don't think it is a gun limber or carriage. The top bolster looks as though it swivels about a point directly over the centre of the axle, the bit sticking out the back looks to me as though it is to stop the fore-carriage folding up backwards under whatever is following it. If it was a limber, gun carriage, or any other kind of two-wheeled vehicle surely there would be either a single pole (for two horses) or a pair (for a single horse) running forwards from the front beam, in order to support the vehicle.

The quality of construction looks completely compatible with a military vehicle, but I think it is just part of a larger whole.

AIf it was a limber, gun carriage, or any other kind of two-wheeled vehicle surely there would be either a single pole (for two horses) or a pair (for a single horse) running forwards from the front beam, in order to support the vehicle.

Not necessarily, dependant on the era and nationality; and even if there was it wasn't always part of the limber but attached by chains.

There is nothing in that photo that says to me this is definitely not a limber. I'm not discounting that it could be something else, but...