RG Receiver Type "cx" AN 24 A.P.W 6815 x ????

harryp

I am New on this Forum and my English writing is BAD:cry:

A few months agoo i bought a RG RECEIVER RARE TABBY MODEL ????!Made of very thick BAKELITE en with the same techniek as the Tabby Type K

The zamboni piles are bigger ,but the eyepiece and tube(CV 143/144 ?) is identical.The carrying case looks the same to.

Here a (LINK) Too Arnhem Jim's Blog are some pictures of my Receiver . Date on this blog Friday 4 Nov !!

//arnhemjim.blogspot.com/search?updated-min=2011-01-01T00%3A00%3A00-08%3A00&updated-max=2012-01-01T00%3A00%3A00-08%3A00&max-results=28

on His blog are some pictures of my Receiver . Date on this blog Friday 4 Nov !!

Bovenzijde koffer.jpg

Kijker met Koffer.jpg

zijkant 1.jpg

ander aanzicht CV 143.jpg

Gedemonteerde kijker.jpg

onderaanzicht Tube CV 143.jpg

voorkant met sluiting.jpg

Edited by harryp

Harry that is in super condition I have never seen a bakelite version. I just have a standard Type K & Type E (still working) & may still have a bit of Type F.

The photos are very good giving a nice overview on its construction. A while ago I did a Tabby article

http://www.hmvf.co.uk/pdf/Tabby01.pdf

& other systems in subsequent articles.

There was a Type E on e bay last week that sold for something like £130 I think. Do you have any more Tabby items to share?

Your English is fine:-)

In Clive Elliots Posts i can't find anything about this Receiver.It's a TABBY MODEL There's no doubt a bouth it?

20 years agoo i bought two type E Tabby's(Just the binoculairs)Whitout power suppleys and cables.These where 450 (Dutch GULDEN) In Euro's 450,00.These were in very good condition !!!Even the rubber eyepiece!

I didn't now that these infrared binoculairs where Tabby's type E .I saw it in the post Tabby Tales.

On Ebay these Type E were sold for 300 Pounds(Just one) .Not the binoculairs i owned.These i traded.

Edited by harryp

Harry my guess is that your monocular is a forerunner of Type K. They are all Tabby as a general code name, prior to this it was referred to as RG Equipment, this seemed to change in 1943. I saw your link with a reference to it as Red-Green Equipment which I don't understand. I assumed it was Red Glass Equipment for indeed the filters are of red glass.

Yes the rubber face mask on the binoculars is very prone to rot. Mine is in good condition & still has the MoS label. I have a number of spare image converter tubes.

When the type plate comes of.Then on the back of it is written RECEIVER R.G.DESIGN "C"

SERIAL. No E.M.

A.P.W 4238.

Normaly you can't wreat it because it's on te back side!!!

That is wy i think it is a RG RECEIVER(Red Green).

The Type plate is on the frond of the battery compartiment! ans shows the code Type "CX"

AN 24

A.P.W 6815x

As far as i now the Image you see when it lights up on the tube is RED GREEN ??

Edited by harryp

Harry the image you see has no red in it, it is green in varying degrees of lightness. Just depends on the properties of the cathode screen as electronics strike it.

Despite all the secret code words, the stores cataloguing gives a clue as to which service used which device. I believe yours was a naval version as A.P. is Admiralty Pattern & section W covers radio, radar, sonar & electronic things like that.

Similarly Tabby Type F was RAF as it uses the stores prefix 5C & similarly Type E was Army with the ZA stores prefix.

Aha,i didn't now.But what means Receiver RG ??And were has the Navy it used for.It's almost identic to Type K.There is a lot about this equipment(Tabby's) but not of this Model?That is Strange!So many models and pictures of these models and discriptions of them.What i found on the internet is (See LINK) http://www.rnmuseumradarandcommunications2006.org.uk/LIBRARY NAVY LINE 1 TO 686.htmlibrary File 19 is mentioning H/B ON THE USE OF RG APPARATUS, (INCLUDING RG RECEIVERS PATT, W6815 ANDPATT, W5766). 1943.I hope Somebody has some old military pictures for me of this Receiver.(In yuse of, or on a boat??)

Edited by harryp

Harry that is a very interesting link on several counts.

For years I have been trying to accumulate a list of RN publications & have relatively few examples. There are many BR publications on that list, BR meaning Books of Reference, some of these are confidential/classified some are not because they were a reclassification of the earlier system.

The three levels of security were:

OU = Official Use

CB = Confidential Book

SP = Signed Publication

The book for RG Receivers was from CB04222. I see it is dated 1943 although I always understood the change to Books of Reference at least started in 1942. So it would be wonderful to get hold of a copy. I'm surprised it was CB security level I would have thought it would have been higher as SP.

I'm tempted to believe you have & what I have known of but never seen a Type C. X I assume is an experimental one or in some electronic items indicates it is pan-climatic.

Since the late 1920s it was the Admiralty that did the research into IR, initially not for vision, but for signalling & beacons etc

I have a genuine wartime document that lists the organisations together with the people involved in RG Equipment together with their telephone numbers and it is the Ministry of Supply of course as the overseeing body but it is the Admiralty Research Laboratory that heads the research not the Army or RAF.

The Department heads were Drs Hill & Elliott on Molesey 1380 together with Mr Jackson on the same number but Extension 146.

I found the info below from newspaper cuttings taken a year or two after the war.

The first record of operational use by any of the services was in the Mediterranean in 1941, when

Commandos, equipped with infra-red signalling sets, maintained contact with parent ships offshore. In

September 1943 midget submarines attacked the German battleship Tirpitz, using infra-red equipment, and

again when they cut the submarine cables at Hong Kong and Saigon.

Harry I had forgotten about that thread. I'll have look & see if I saved the images. My recollection is that there was some sort of power unit connected via a cable to a monocular.

My recollection is also that a post seems to have been withdrawn. ISTR that someone made a post in the form of a warning that I had been putting out duff information. They felt that it was important to alert others with a public warning & backed it up by the fact they had handled some surplus Tabby equipment themselves. You can see how the posts don't really flow with the post/posts gone.

That is why one of my replies started "I stand by what I said in..." & then I quoted a list of documents that were on IR, not to show off, but my integrity was being challenged & I needed to show my sources of reference & my experience with the history of early IR systems.

PS I have just looked but no pictures. All I found was a Type F & power unit from e bay. I think once an item is sold on e bay you cannot view it unless you have book marked it earlier or bought it!

The RG receiver i have is also on Ebay.

First i wanted to sell it because i can't find any pictures or other info.

And maybe there are other people at Ebay who watch this receiver and give me some correction in Info.

For now i think that i cancel the action on ebay.(Tomorrow)

first of all I want to now more of this receiver.Maybe you can find info (Pdf) copie from a book mentioned in the Library files of the radar and communications museum

Thanks so far