ARGES.. possibly the only one in private hands??

ARGES Anti-Tank Mine... Possibly the only one in private hands:-D

ARGES is an off-route anti-tank mine, developed by an international consortium to meet the needs of the British, French and German armed forces. The system consists of a rocket and launch tube, a tripod and a sensor package.

The sensor package has an acoustic sensor that detects the approach of a suitable target and activates the passive infrared and laser sensors which trigger the launch of the rocket when the target passes in front of it.

The rocket uses a modified version of the motor from the LAW 80 anti-tank rocket, and has a tandem HEAT warhead, enabling it to penetrate the side armour of all main battle tanks, including those protected with Reactive armour. The rocket has a range of between two and ninety meters, with the hit probability at ninety meters being 97%.

The mine is highly programmable with an active window of between three hours and forty days, to choose a specific target in a convoy, as well as the ability to be re-programmed. The system can also be command initiated.

Specifications

Weight: 18 to 22 kg quoted.

Length: 1.02 m

Height: from 230 mm to 700 mm

Range: 2 to 97 m

Traverse: -45 degrees to + 45 degrees

Picture019-6.jpg

Picture020-8.jpg

Picture022-7.jpg

Copied over from another old thread..

Re the ARGES the predecessor to this was the LAWMINE which was to take over from off route mine with 2 law 80s mounted on tripod similar to ARGES but never seen it in service only in development as the ARGES was the one that came into replace off route.

Gary

The lawmine was designated the ADDER which was lethal up to 100m

http://s275.photobucket.com/albums/jj283/garyawallace/?action=view&current=_F460.jpg

the Off Route mine was designated the L14A1 weighing 12Kg from the French MI AC AH F1

http://s275.photobucket.com/albums/jj283/garyawallace/?action=view&current=_F423.jpg

From late 80s:- similar new high-tech mines are still under development in other European joint-ventures - such as the ARGES, developed by Dynamit Nobel (Germany)/Honeywell (Germany)/GIAT (France)/Hunting (Great Britain). It is a rival product of the PARM-2 and one of the most modern off-route mines offered to the European market. The one mine costs approximately 12,000 DM. ARGES will be used as a standard NATO weapon, but is not expected to be introduced before 2000.

ARGES, like the PARM 2, is an autonomous, sensor-controlled anti-armor weapon, which destroys the target from the side with a hollow charge warhead. The acoustic alarm sensor of the ARGES mine, which can make out close- and long-range targets, can 'hear around corners' and therefore also be deployed in confined areas. A microprocessor calculates the distance, direction, speed and the length of the target vehicle. The length of the vehicle is crucial in deciding whether it is a combat target or not. "The question of how reliably a differentiation on this basis between civilian and military vehicles will work hardly needs to be answered. Then the question of whether for example the ARGES mine can differentiate between various tank models was in fact answered in the negative by a spokesperson for the sensor manufacturers Honeywell (Germany), which also manufactures the PARM sensors. On the contrary, 'no German soldier would be advised to even get close to an activated ARGES mine with his tank'".

The ARGES antitank weapon (Automatic Rocket Guardian with Election Sensor) from the family of weapons known as ACEATM (Aimed Controlled Effect Anti-Tank Mine). The system is initiated by an acoustic sensor and a target selection system, while firing is initiated by a passive infrared detection system and laser.

more useless info, apologies

gary

ARGES Anti-Tank Mine... Possibly the only one in private hands:-D

ARGES is an off-route anti-tank mine, developed by an international consortium to meet the needs of the British, French and German armed forces. The system consists of a rocket and launch tube, a tripod and a sensor package.

The sensor package has an acoustic sensor that detects the approach of a suitable target and activates the passive infrared and laser sensors which trigger the launch of the rocket when the target passes in front of it.

The rocket uses a modified version of the motor from the LAW 80 anti-tank rocket, and has a tandem HEAT warhead, enabling it to penetrate the side armour of all main battle tanks, including those protected with Reactive armour. The rocket has a range of between two and ninety meters, with the hit probability at ninety meters being 97%.

The mine is highly programmable with an active window of between three hours and forty days, to choose a specific target in a convoy, as well as the ability to be re-programmed. The system can also be command initiated.

Specifications

Weight: 18 to 22 kg quoted.

Length: 1.02 m

Height: from 230 mm to 700 mm

Range: 2 to 97 m

Traverse: -45 degrees to + 45 degrees

Picture019-6.jpg

Picture020-8.jpg

Picture022-7.jpg

nice, you not expecting any trouble at next years Bunker Bash are you Lee?

Mark