Ammunition box C 238 1 1941

Joris

My g/f grandpa who died recently had an old ammunition box on his attic which I now have. It's all metal and got a triangel on it and the markings C 238 1 1941 on it. Grandpa most probably found it on his land, he lived in Veghel and there was some firece fighting going on there during operation Market Garden.

Could this box be used in WWII and if so, what would have been in it?

This is what the box looks like:

c238-ammo.jpg

I thought it looked familiar I've got an identical box in the back of my Land Rover for storing tools. But no markings like C 238 1 on it.

I have a 1949 list of ammunition abbreviations & there is nothing like that. As it happens C2 is the VAOS section for machine guns & accessories for AFV use. But as this clearly is an ammunition box that doesn't make sense, anyway ammunition codes start with 'T'.

Is this marking stamped into the box or is it a label? Can we have a picture?. BTW mine has the markings painted on the top '120 TK' which I assume means 120mm anti-tank rounds ie for Wombat. So given the date of your box, I suspect there are a range of standard ammunition boxes that can take various sort of ammunition depending on the internal packaging.

Thinking about it C238 is the specification of the box. Which should be 658 x 244 x 231 mm. Underneath mine reads:

ECC C238 Mk 2 SV57A 1968

I guess ECC is the manufacturer & maybe the SV57A is the contract.

There is a Defence Standard on the storage of ammo on RN ships which refers to ammo boxes on: http://www.dstan.mod.uk/data/02/179/00000100.pdf

If you've got the time, there are large number of other Def Stans that make mention of ammo boxes on this official site.