Waddington's Lightning

agripper

Looked on the air show web site and it has a lightning down as a static display by 5 sqn. does anyone know any more on this and any photos? Had heard a rumour that this was to be returned to flight but feels this is about as likley as seeing the RAF having a classic cold war jets flight. Not to mention that the work involved getting one back in the air is so extreame.

The Lightning is XR770 painted in 5 Sqn colours, it has been restored for static display outside 5 Sqns hangar. It was only painted this week and only towed out of their hangar last night (Thursday 2nd) for static display at the airshow. I had a quick look at it this morning sadly no pics as I was working and no camera. I know its been a rush to get it ready in time for the show but sadly paint covers a multitude of sins is all I’ll say.

Further to the above, XR770, it is still owned by the same people who had it on display near Grimsby, they have loaned it to 5 Sqn for display outside their hangar at Waddington for the foreseeable future, a cosmetic restoration has been carried out and it will be unveiled at the airshow.

If your planning to go to Waddo Airshow, the Vulcan will not be flying as red tape has stopped it again! It arrived and practised on Thursday but has since been grounded pending further paperwork!