Mercenary vehicles in the Congo 1964/65

TailSpin

Hi there,

I'm currently researching into Mike Hoare's 5 Commando and their operations against the Simba rebels in 1964/65 and I found that 5 Commando used jeeps and Ferret scout cars to name but a few.

Does anybody have any information regarding nomaclature of the two, above, vehicles?

Regards,

Paul

• 3 weeks later...

I have 2 books written by Mike Hoare on the campaign, which have numerous photos of the jeeps and ferrets, there are also photos in a book about mercenary forces I have. Unfortunately all of them are in storage at the moment, but I'll see if I can dig them and scan the photos next weekend

I have 2 books written by Mike Hoare on the campaign, which have numerous photos of the jeeps and ferrets, there are also photos in a book about mercenary forces I have. Unfortunately all of them are in storage at the moment, but I'll see if I can dig them and scan the photos next weekend

I'd appreciate that. I'm hoping to try and rouse interest in a couple of vehicle owners to do a display that's a little different than your usual living history scenarios.

I'd imagine that the Ferrets and jeeps would all be generic with no markings on them. I know they used civillian trucks to transport personnel, evacuees and supplies.

Paul